Calculating Required Force for 20 RPM Rotation on 4m Axel with 100kg Load

• Thread starter kalpesh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is about determining the amount of horsepower needed to start and maintain the rotation of an axle with a 4 meter arm and a load of 100 kgs at the end. The diameter of the axle is 1000mm and the length of the arm is 4 meters. It is mentioned that the only reason power is needed is due to friction and that the final speed is not important, but rather the rate of acceleration is. To determine the necessary power, a torque specification is needed.

what sort of poll is this i dont know

• yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
kalpesh
Hello,

This will be a very simple questions for all you pro's out there.
I want to know the amount of horsepowers required to start the rotation and maintain a rotation of 20 RPM of an axel which has an arm of 4 mts having a load of 100 kgs at the end of the arm.

the dia of tha axel is 1000mm (10 Cm.) and the leangth of the arm as stated above is 4 meters.

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Technically the answer is 0.

The only thing reason the system will need power to keep it going is because of friction, a variable you don't know.
For a second I thought (mv^2)/r would have something to do with it but that force is exerted by the 4m bar and not a motor connected to a shaft.

If you give a required torque specification for that given RPM, I can tell you how much power you need.

btw, I voted no.

Last edited:
The final speed isn't important - what you need to decide is the rate at which your device (which sounds more like a centrifuge than an axle) gets to that speed, i.e the (angular) acceleration. Once it's up to speed you just need to overcome friction losses, etc to keep it there.

Related to Calculating Required Force for 20 RPM Rotation on 4m Axel with 100kg Load

1. What is the formula for calculating required force for 20 RPM rotation on a 4m axel with a 100kg load?

The formula for calculating required force for 20 RPM rotation on a 4m axel with a 100kg load is F = (m x v^2)/r, where F is the required force, m is the mass of the load, v is the tangential velocity (calculated by multiplying the RPM by the circumference of the axel), and r is the radius of the axel.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the required force?

The unit of measurement for the required force is Newtons (N).

3. How does the mass of the load affect the required force?

The required force is directly proportional to the mass of the load. This means that as the mass of the load increases, the required force will also increase.

4. How does the radius of the axel affect the required force?

The required force is inversely proportional to the radius of the axel. This means that as the radius of the axel increases, the required force will decrease.

5. Is there a maximum limit for the required force?

There is no specific maximum limit for the required force, as it will vary depending on the specific situation and equipment being used. However, it is important to ensure that the required force does not exceed the maximum load-bearing capacity of the axel and any other equipment involved.