1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating rotational inertia of a sphere

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    Just how do you calculate the rotational inertia of a sphere?
    Assuming the sphere lies at the center of the xyz coordinate system, I divided the sphere into a series of cross-sections of verticle width dz and area pi*y^2. I then multiplied these together and multiplied this by z^2, and multiplied this by density (M/V, or M/(4/3*pi*R^3)), and then tried to integrate with respect to z from -R to R. I wasn't sure whether or not to include z itself in the integration (z=(R^2-Y^2)^(1/2)). I have a feeling I completely messed the entire problem up; however, I'm not sure where. :yuck: Did I go about doing it in an entirely wrong way? Should I use double integrals (would that be easier)? Do I have to use spherical coordinates or something?
    Any help is appreciated. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer lies here

Hopefully Arildno and Krabs' approach are within your level of understanding...
  4. Dec 8, 2004 #3
    Thank you thank you thank you! That was REALLY helpful...I've been trying to understand the process of calculating inertia for days...my textbook was of no help. I think I finally understand it.
  5. Dec 8, 2004 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Divide the solid sphere into thin disks of thickness dz and mass dm. For the thin disk is [itex]I = \frac{1}{2}MR^2[/itex]

The moment of inertia of each disk is
    [tex]dI = \frac{1}{2}x^2dm[/tex] where [tex]dm = \rho \pi x^2 dz[/tex]

So [tex]dI = \frac{1}{2}\rho \pi x^4 dz[/tex]

Then integrate dI from z = -R to R (note: [itex]x^2 = R^2 - z^2[/itex])

That will give you I in terms of [itex]\rho[/itex] which is M/V (where V is the volume of the sphere and M is its mass) so just replace [itex]\rho[/itex] with M/V.

The integration looks a little tough because of the [itex](R^2 - z^2)^2[/itex] Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?