Calculating size of wooden members

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance with calculating the size of wooden members needed for a truss. They understand the basic steps, which involve calculating the load and stress on each member, and then selecting a member with a safety factor of 2.0. The reason for this calculation is to determine the necessary strength for a shade structure that will support heavy solar panels, with each truss carrying a weight of 600 pounds. The speaker also mentions that a higher safety factor may be needed, and that there are common rules of thumb for these types of calculations.
KV-1
I need help calculating the size of the wood members I need in my truss. I understand the basics; I first need to calculate the load, then the stress on each member, then pick a wooden member which has that stress with a safety factor of let's say 2.0. The reason why I want to perform the calculation, is that the solar panels I plan to put on this shade structure at heavy. Each truss would carry a weight of 600 pounds in solar panels alone. Attached is my drawing:

ORI6O1w.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
For something like this, I think you want a safety factor higher than 2.0.

I found out this is commonly done using several rules of thumb, feel free to ask about them in this thread

1. How do you calculate the size of wooden members?

The size of wooden members can be calculated by first determining the load and span of the structure, and then using appropriate engineering formulas to determine the required cross-sectional area and dimensions of the wooden member.

2. What factors should be considered when calculating the size of wooden members?

The factors that should be considered when calculating the size of wooden members include the type of wood, the load the member will bear, the span of the structure, and any environmental conditions that may affect the strength of the wood.

3. What is the difference between calculating the size of wooden members for a horizontal versus a vertical application?

Calculating the size of wooden members for a horizontal application, such as a floor joist, requires considering the bending forces on the member, while calculating for a vertical application, such as a post or column, requires considering the compressive forces on the member.

4. How do you determine the appropriate spacing of wooden members for a given load?

The spacing of wooden members can be determined by dividing the total load by the allowable load per unit length for the specific type of wood, and then ensuring the spacing does not exceed the maximum allowable span for the member.

5. Are there any safety factors to consider when calculating the size of wooden members?

Yes, it is important to factor in a safety margin when calculating the size of wooden members to ensure the structure can withstand unexpected or increased loads. The safety factor may vary depending on the type of structure and local building codes, but it is typically between 1.5-2 times the calculated load.