Calculating size of wooden members

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
KV-1
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
I need help calculating the size of the wood members I need in my truss. I understand the basics; I first need to calculate the load, then the stress on each member, then pick a wooden member which has that stress with a safety factor of let's say 2.0. The reason why I want to perform the calculation, is that the solar panels I plan to put on this shade structure at heavy. Each truss would carry a weight of 600 pounds in solar panels alone. Attached is my drawing:

ORI6O1w.jpg
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
For something like this, I think you want a safety factor higher than 2.0.
 
I found out this is commonly done using several rules of thumb, feel free to ask about them in this thread