Calculating Static Friction and the Coefficient of Friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
KarleeZ
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
*** Title says static - need kinetic friction!

Homework Statement



Find the amount of kinetic friction. A block with mass of 0.422kg slides down a ramp from rest. Given: acceleration = 1.58m/s^2, mass = 0.422kg, theta = 29.0°, velocity two (end): 1.7m/s, and total time is 1.10s. I also need to find the coefficient of friction.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a free body diagram. When you say "acceleration = 1.58m/s^2", what is meant? Is that the acceleration of the block down the ramp, or the acceleration of the block due to gravity? (AKA where does the acceleration vector point).

That's the most I'm willing to help until I see some attempt at a solution.