Calculating Temp Difference in a hot water tank

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the temperature difference between the bottom and top of a hot water tank, taking into account variables such as height, diameter, temperature, and time. More information is needed to accurately answer the question, including whether there is heat loss, if it is a homework or self-study problem, and the subject of the textbook. The individual asking the question has a central heating system with a copper coil pipe that heats water in a sealed tank, and is curious about the temperature difference between the bottom and top of the tank. They also mention the possibility of chaotic convection currents and the difficulty of deducing the top temperature solely from a sensor at the bottom.
Alan A
I want to calculate the difference in temp between the bottom & top of a hot water tank,
Presumably the height of the tank, the diameter, the actual temp and time would be the variables. I will assume no heat loss. The heat input would be at the base of the tank.

Physics news on Phys.org
More information is needed to answer the question. Is this a homework or a self-study problem? Is it from a textbook, and if so what subject does this section of the book deal with (i.e., heat transfer by conduction? Convection? Other?)

I have a central heating system which passes hot water in through a copper coil pipe to heat water in a sealed tank. The warm water rises naturally with no mechanical agigitation. My question is if the coil is at the bottom of the tank what is the approx difference between the temp at the bottom of the tank and that at the top. The tank is approx 50cm diam and 1.3 m high. Let's assume no heat loss for the tank. Obviously time will be a factor

It seems to me if there is no heat loss from the system, all the water would have to be at the same temperature as the coil. It is only if there is a heat loss that there would be a temperature difference. Am I missing something here?

Thank you for your reply. I really don't know very much but imagine that if you circulate hot water through a coil at the bottom of a tank that heat will be passed to the surrounding water and will rise to the top. Only when the system has reached a steady state will both temperatures be the same at the top & bottom of the tank. The application is if I have a temperature probe at athe the bottom of the tank what will be he temp difference at the top?
Thanks

Can one assume that before water is circulated through the coil, the water is uniformly at ambient temperature? Then at the instant hot water is first circulated through the coil, presumably warmer water would begin rising from the coil. Without any heat loss I don't know if there would be any convection currents or how they would flow. My guess is that they would be chaotic. It sounds like you are asking what the temperature difference would be at some time after heat is applied to the coil. To deduce the temperature at the top of the tank solely from a sensor at the bottom of the tank I think would be next to impossible.

What is the formula for calculating temperature difference in a hot water tank?

The formula for calculating temperature difference in a hot water tank is: Difference in temperature = Final temperature - Initial temperature

What units are typically used when calculating temperature difference in a hot water tank?

The units used for temperature difference are typically degrees Celsius (°C) or degrees Fahrenheit (°F).

How do I measure the initial and final temperatures in a hot water tank?

The initial and final temperatures can be measured using a thermometer. Make sure to dip the thermometer into the water to get an accurate reading.

What factors can affect the temperature difference in a hot water tank?

The temperature difference in a hot water tank can be affected by factors such as the volume of water in the tank, the heating source, and the insulation of the tank.

Why is it important to calculate the temperature difference in a hot water tank?

Calculating the temperature difference in a hot water tank is important because it helps determine the efficiency of the heating system and can also indicate any potential issues with the tank or insulation.