Calculating the arc length in r^3

In summary, the conversation is about finding the arc length of a vector function using the arc length formula. The problem asks for the use of the given formula, but the person is having trouble with it and suggests using an alternative method. However, the formula provided should be sufficient and there is no need for an alternative method. The conversation ends with a suggestion to show the results of the integral and explain why the given formula cannot be used.
makman09

Homework Statement

r(t)=ti+2tj+(t^2-3)k or r(t)=(t, 2t, t^2-3)

0≤t≤2

Homework Equations

arc length formula ∫[the scalar of dr/dt]
I know I can calculate the arc length through the equation above, but the questions asks for
me to utilize this formula.

∫√(t^2+a^2) dt = .5t√(t^2+a^2) + .5a^2 times ln(t+√(t^2+a^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't get far on this, but i think it has to do something with another alternative to get the arc length.

If it is difficult reading the problem, i also have a picture of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the picture of the image
It's #6

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 449
What is the |dr/dt| in this case?

makman09 said:

Homework Statement

r(t)=ti+2tj+(t^2-3)k or r(t)=(t, 2t, t^2-3)

0≤t≤2

Homework Equations

arc length formula ∫[the scalar of dr/dt]
I know I can calculate the arc length through the equation above, but the questions asks for
me to utilize this formula.

∫√(t^2+a^2) dt = .5t√(t^2+a^2) + .5a^2 times ln(t+√(t^2+a^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't get far on this, but i think it has to do something with another alternative to get the arc length.

If it is difficult reading the problem, i also have a picture of it.
What, exactly, is your problem? It should be very easy to differentiate that. Have you done that yet? There is no "alternative" needed. Just take the derivative of the vector function, find its length and integrate that.

i know right? but the book keeps telling me to use the formula to find the arc length provided with problem number 6.

makman09 said:
i know right? but the book keeps telling me to use the formula to find the arc length provided with problem number 6.

So show us what you get for the integral using the "usual way" and explain why you can't use the given formula. Then we can see what the issue really is for you.

What is the formula for calculating the arc length in r^3?

The formula for calculating the arc length in r^3 is L = ∫√(1+(f'(x))^2) dx, where f'(x) is the derivative of the function that defines the curve.

What is the difference between arc length and arc measure?

Arc length is the actual distance along the curve from one point to another, while arc measure is the angle formed by the two radii of a circle that make up the arc. In r^3, arc length is measured in units of length, while arc measure is measured in degrees or radians.

Can the arc length in r^3 be negative?

No, the arc length in r^3 cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents a distance along the curve.

What is the importance of calculating the arc length in r^3?

Calculating the arc length in r^3 is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and geometry. It allows us to accurately measure and analyze curved objects and their movements, and can also be used in the design and construction of structures and machines.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the arc length calculation in r^3?

The accuracy of the arc length calculation in r^3 can be affected by the precision of the measuring tools used, the complexity of the curve being measured, and the accuracy of the function used to define the curve. It is also important to choose an appropriate integration method and to properly handle any discontinuities or singularities in the function.