1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the Coefficient of Static Friction

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 25 kg chair intially at rest on a horizontal floor requires 365 N horizontal force to set it in motion. Once the chair is in motion, a 327 N horizontal force keeps it moving at a constant velocity.

A: Find the coefficient of Static Friction between the chair and the floor
    B: Find the coefficient of Kinetic Friction between the chair and the florr.

2. Relevant equations

I am very new to physics and my teacher has been absent for the entire week. I have no idea where to begin and what equations to use. I really hope that someone out there can help me in my plight.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi Sachin_Sharma, welcome to PF.
    You must have a text book. Now what is the expression for the frictional force?

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    Thanks so much! I really should have taken this posting down because I actually did manage to find the answer by using my textbook! I was one step ahead of you, but I nonetheless appreciate your posting rl.bhat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook