Calculating the energy loss due to sound emission on collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining accurate results in an open system of a school by accounting for all energy losses that occur during the investigation. The formula for calculating the energy of sound is mentioned, but its validity is questioned and alternative approaches are suggested, such as conducting the experiments in a vacuum to eliminate sound losses. The conversation also touches on the concept of sound energy and its relationship to electrical energy in a loud speaker.
Voekov

Homework Statement

I am writing my Extended Essay for IB, where I look at the possibility of obtaining accurate results in open system of a school, by accounting for all energy losses that occur during the investigation.

Before conducting my experiments (which included an air track with two colliding vessels, followed up by 2 'frictionless' vessels on a track), I found the following equation for calculating the energy of sound:
58566b13818da154c01c273080aca4e6.png

Where:
p - sound pressure
v - Particle velocity
ρ0 - density
c - sound speed
In my case, the values are as follows:
p - 6.324*10^-2 Pa
v - 1.531*10^-4 ms^-1
ρ0 - 1.204 kgm^-3
c - 343.26 ms^-1

Homework Equations

Is this formula valid? If so, how do I solve this integral? The integral does not remind me of anything I have seen so far. I also cannot find any other reference to this formula besides wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_energy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did visit the maths and physics departments in my college. Neither was able to help me. Maths department stated this formula doesn't even look correct, while the physics department told me to ask somewhere else.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to be a integral over a volume of some sort. Anyhow this is the first time I've seen such a formula. Also the wikipedia entry has no citations at all...you may be better off devising another approach. If you have minimized losses to friction, you could compare the kinetic energies before and after collision to get an estimate of the energy lost as sound.

That is the point of my investigation. What I am doing, is trying to account for all the possible energy losses by measuring and calculating them. I have calculated losses to friction, losses in form of heat loss due to a forced inelastic collision (temperature change of deforming Blu-Tack, which was used to keep the vessels together once they collide), and now I need to calculate the energy output of the sound level. Then, when I add them up and subtract from the initial kinetic energy value, I hope to obtain a result reasonably close to the final KE level.

Is there any other way to calculate the energy required to generate given volume of sound? I did some research and all I found was really difficult university-grade jargon.

I see your point now. But if you can't find a (veritable) formula, I think the only way is to change your approach. How about making the collisions happen in vacuum? My school had some tools to achieve vacuum in a closed volume. Maybe yours does too? This way you could eliminate losses due to sounds totally.

That would mean I am to scrap the idea of air resistance as well, which would pretty much leave me without a topic. I will continue looking for that formula then.

Voekov said:
That would mean I am to scrap the idea of air resistance as well, which would pretty much leave me without a topic. I will continue looking for that formula then.

Going to make an air-track hard to operate as well!

Hah, that's true :)

Pi-Bond said:
I see your point now. But if you can't find a (veritable) formula, I think the only way is to change your approach. How about making the collisions happen in vacuum? My school had some tools to achieve vacuum in a closed volume. Maybe yours does too? This way you could eliminate losses due to sounds totally.

Interesting concept. Are losses we put down to sound energy loss due to the sound traveling away from the source or because the source went through the motion that would usually make the sound.

When we put electrical energy into a loud speaker, sound is produced.

If the speaker was placed in a vacuum no sound is heard, but was it produced.

Would the the I-V fuigres of the attached amplifier system show the reduced power requirements?

1. How do you calculate the energy loss due to sound emission on collision?

To calculate the energy loss due to sound emission on collision, you need to know the mass and velocity of the colliding objects, as well as the material properties of the objects and the environment. This information can be used to calculate the amount of sound energy emitted during the collision, which can then be converted to an energy loss value.

2. What factors affect the energy loss due to sound emission on collision?

The main factors that affect the energy loss due to sound emission on collision are the mass and velocity of the colliding objects, the material properties of the objects (such as density and elasticity), and the environment in which the collision occurs (such as air temperature and pressure). Other factors, such as the shape and size of the objects, can also play a role.

3. How does the energy loss due to sound emission on collision differ for different materials?

The energy loss due to sound emission on collision can vary greatly depending on the material properties of the colliding objects. Materials with higher density and/or lower elasticity will typically result in a larger energy loss, as they are more efficient at converting kinetic energy into sound energy. Additionally, the sound absorption properties of the materials can also affect the amount of energy lost.

4. Can the energy loss due to sound emission on collision be minimized?

Yes, the energy loss due to sound emission on collision can be minimized by using materials with lower density and higher elasticity, as well as by designing objects with shapes that reduce the amount of sound produced during collision. Additionally, controlling the environment in which the collision occurs can also help minimize energy loss.

5. Why is it important to calculate the energy loss due to sound emission on collision?

Calculating the energy loss due to sound emission on collision is important for understanding and predicting the effects of collisions, such as in car accidents or industrial machinery operations. It can also help in designing more efficient and quieter systems, as well as assessing the potential impact on the surrounding environment. Additionally, this calculation can aid in determining the safety and structural integrity of objects involved in collisions.