Calculating the energy of a harmonic oscillator

In summary, the general solution for a harmonic oscillator is given by x(t) = Acos(ωt) + Bsin(ωt), and the total energy can be expressed in terms of A and B. This energy is independent of time and can be found by maximizing the potential energy and kinetic energy. However, there may be a mistake in the calculations, as the resulting equation does not only depend on A and B.
demonelite123
the general solution is given by x(t) = Acos(ωt) + Bsin(ωt). Express the total energy in terms of A and B and notice how it is independent of time.

my book derives a formula earlier which says [tex]\frac{\partial{S_{cl}}}{\partial{t_f}} = -E[/tex] where [tex]S_{cl}[/tex] is the classical path defined by [tex]S_{cl} = \int L dt [/tex] where L is the lagrangian.

i know that the lagrangian for a harmonic oscillator is L = [tex]\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2-\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

so i tried [tex]\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{t}}[/tex] = [tex] \int (\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{x}} \dot{x} dt + \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{x}}}\frac{d\dot{x}}{dt} dt)[/tex]

and i have [tex]\dot{x} = -A\omega\sin(\omega t)+B\omega\cos(\omega t) [/tex] as well as [tex]\ddot{x} = -A\omega^2\cos(\omega t)-B\omega^2\sin(\omega t) [/tex]

so after substituting and taking the antiderivative, i get something very messy:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}(ma^2\omega^2 + kB^2\omega^3)(t - \frac{1}{2\omega}\sin{2\omega t})+\frac{1}{2}(mB^2\omega^2 + kA^2\omega^3)(t+\frac{1}{2\omega}\sin{2\omega t}) - \frac{1}{2\omega}(kAB\omega^3 - mAB\omega^2)\cos{2\omega t}[/tex]

i am supposed to get something only in terms of A and B but it seems like it will since nothing really cancels out. did i make a mistake? help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the units on some of your terms work out, so you apparently made a math error somewhere. Recheck your calculations.

for harmonic oscillator V(x)=1/2kx^2

try maximizing E= V(x)+kinetic energy

KE = 1/2(m)(dx/dt)^2

its a classical solution but i think it still applies

FAQ: Calculating the energy of a harmonic oscillator

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion around a stable equilibrium point. It can be described mathematically by a simple harmonic motion equation, which relates the position, velocity, and acceleration of the oscillator.

How do you calculate the energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The energy of a harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the equation E = (1/2)kx^2, where E is the energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium. This equation is derived from the potential energy of a spring, which is directly proportional to the square of its displacement.

What factors affect the energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The energy of a harmonic oscillator is affected by the spring constant, the mass of the oscillator, and the amplitude of its motion. A higher spring constant or larger mass will result in a higher energy, while a larger amplitude will result in a higher energy during the peak of the oscillation.

How is the energy of a harmonic oscillator related to its frequency?

The energy of a harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to its frequency, according to the equation E = hf, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy of the oscillator also increases.

Can the energy of a harmonic oscillator be negative?

No, the energy of a harmonic oscillator cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of energy required to move the oscillator from its equilibrium position. Negative values may indicate an error in calculation or an incorrect interpretation of the equation.

Back