Calculating the force required to lift tilting mass (similar to dumptruck)

In summary, to determine the force required to lift a tilting platform with a cylinder, you will need to consider the mass, distance from the pivot point, and angles of the cylinder.
Maximise

Homework Statement

Hi I am very keen to solve this problem, it is not for coursework, just something I am interested in designing.

I have attached a sketch I drew using my index finger on my laptop :)

Calculation.jpg

I would like to determine the Force required of a cylinder to Lift a tilting platform.
We have two scenarios.

The platform is to move up and down between the angles shown using a cylinder of stroke 200mm.

( ~ negative 45degrees to positive 60 degrees)

The variables are the mounting positions of the cylinder.

The mass will be ~ 10kg and spread over 600mm of the platform.

The distance between the pivot and cylinder mount points are known.

Let's name coordinates from the datum (pivot) as:
horizontal coordinates x and vertical z.

Distance from pivot to cylinder mount point D.
Values in mm

Scenario A
Let's say the cylinder base
x= 15
z= -300
D = 100

Scenario B
x = 200
z = -500
D = 300

Homework Equations

Force = mass x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

So I could assume the centre of mass is halfway along the mass (half of 600mm).
And so I could say the force = 10 x 0.3
= 3 Nm

But would I also need to consider the angles of the cylinders? These angles will vary according to the stroke.

Hope to solve this with your help. Look forward to hearing from you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you will need to consider the angles of the cylinders. The force required to lift the platform will depend on the angle of the cylinder, as well as the mass and distance from the pivot point. You can calculate the force using the equation F = mgsin(theta), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and theta is the angle of the cylinder. You can then use this equation to calculate the force for your scenarios A and B.

1. How do you calculate the force required to lift a tilting mass?

The force required to lift a tilting mass is calculated by multiplying the weight of the mass by the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is represented as F = m x g, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth.

2. What factors affect the force required to lift a tilting mass?

The force required to lift a tilting mass is affected by several factors, including the weight and angle of the mass, the distance from the pivot point, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role.

3. How does the angle of the tilting mass affect the force required to lift it?

The force required to lift a tilting mass increases as the angle of the mass increases. This is because the weight of the mass is distributed over a larger area, making it more difficult to lift.

4. Is there a maximum force that can be used to lift a tilting mass?

Yes, there is a maximum force that can be used to lift a tilting mass. This is determined by the strength and stability of the lifting mechanism, as well as the weight and angle of the mass. Exceeding this maximum force can result in damage to the lifting equipment or the mass itself.

5. How can the force required to lift a tilting mass be reduced?

The force required to lift a tilting mass can be reduced by decreasing the weight of the mass, decreasing the angle of the tilt, or using a more efficient lifting mechanism. Additionally, reducing friction and air resistance can also help to decrease the force required.