Calculating the output of Seyferrt Galaxy

In summary: It is possible that the radius of Sagittarius A* is larger than that of a typical AGN (active galactic nucleus), which could account for the discrepancy in your calculations.
skydivephil
Im trying to calcuate the energy output of Saigtarius A star if it were to accrete material at the same rate as a typical Seyfert Galaxy which I understand to be about 1 solar mass per year (correct?). I am getting an answer that looks way too low. As I understand it we should get a number something like 10^37
Here are my calculations:

The radius of Sagittarius A star, the black hole at the centre of our galaxy is a number I couldn’t find. However it’s mass is easily available: 3.6 mio solar mass
We can compute the radius using the Schwarzschild formula
Rs=2GM/c^2
Where Rs is the Schwarzschild radius
G is the gravitational constant = 6.67*10^-11
M is the mass in kg is 7.2*10^36
C is the speed of light 3*10*8
So we have 2*6.67*10-11*7.2*10^36/9*10^16
= 1.07*10^10
No we can calculate the accretion energy using
GM/R = 6.67*10^-11*2*10^30/1.0*10^10
=1.25*10^10
Mauybe the radisu of Sag A* is much alrgher than normal AGn, or I've made a mistake somehwere. Any ideas?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Actually, the correct formula for calculating the Schwarzschild radius is Rs = 2GM/c^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67x10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2) and M is the mass of the black hole (in kg). Using this formula, we can calculate the Schwarzschild radius of Sagittarius A* as Rs = 2*6.67x10^-11*7.2x10^36/(3x10^8)^2 = 1.07x10^9 m. Now, to calculate the accretion energy we can use the equation E = GMm/R, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the black hole (7.2x10^36 kg), m is the mass of the material being accreted (1 solar mass per year, or 1.99x10^30 kg) and R is the Schwarzschild radius (1.07x10^9 m). Plugging in these values, we get E = 6.67x10^-11*7.2x10^36*1.99x10^30/1.07x10^9 = 1.25x10^37 J/s. This is the energy output when Sagittarius A* accretes material at a rate of 1 solar mass per year.

What is a Seyfert Galaxy?

A Seyfert Galaxy is a type of active galaxy characterized by a bright, compact core emitting high-energy radiation. It is named after American astronomer Carl Keenan Seyfert who first identified this type of galaxy in 1943.

How do you calculate the output of a Seyfert Galaxy?

The output of a Seyfert Galaxy can be calculated by measuring its luminosity, which is the total amount of energy emitted per unit of time. This can be done by observing the galaxy across different wavelengths and using specialized instruments to measure its radiation.

What factors affect the output of a Seyfert Galaxy?

The output of a Seyfert Galaxy can be affected by several factors, including the size and mass of the central black hole, the amount of gas and dust present in the galaxy, and the rate of accretion onto the black hole. Other factors such as the orientation of the galaxy and the presence of a companion galaxy can also influence its output.

Why is calculating the output of a Seyfert Galaxy important?

Studying the output of Seyfert Galaxies can provide valuable insights into the processes happening in the central regions of galaxies, including the growth of supermassive black holes and the formation of new stars. It can also help us understand the evolution of galaxies and the role of active galactic nuclei in the larger structure of the universe.

What techniques are used to calculate the output of a Seyfert Galaxy?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to calculate the output of Seyfert Galaxies, including spectroscopy, which analyzes the wavelengths of light emitted by the galaxy, and X-ray observations, which can reveal the hot gas surrounding the central black hole. Other techniques such as infrared and radio observations can also provide valuable information about the output of these galaxies.