Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the Stark Effect (Spectral line splitting)?

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    Is the equation for calculating the Stark effect the same for every atom?

I am trying to understand how to calculate the Stark effect for Oxygen but do not understand the formula.

Can someone please explain and show me how to calculate the Stark effect?

It would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

It's in practically every good textbook on quantum mechanics. There's also the wikipedia page, or the hyperphysics page.

Have you studied the prerequisite physics and math to learn this stuff? If you don't understand what the equations are supposed to mean, I'd have to think the answer to that is 'no'. In which case, why would you expect to understand it? And what would you expect people to do? Give a whole undergraduate course in physics within a forum thread?

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    Yes you're right.

I know very little physics, which is why I'm here. I am trying to determine which
    wavelength(s) are needed to excite the oxygen atom to it's 4th energy level in a high voltage field containing plasma and ambient air.

The high voltage field is around 20kV. I need to first determine the V/cm. I know that the stark effect causes spectral line splitting. And the higher the e field the more splitting will be. I am just trying to determine or at least estimate what wavelengths I would need.

I know this in most cases would take more knowledge than I currently have to figure out, so I am trying to enlist the help of others.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  5. Sep 22, 2009 #4
    I am sure, you have many books or papers on the Stark effect.Now I am study the Stark effect too, but I find it is hard to find relative materials on it. Would you send some specially that one include the formula you mentioned above. Thank you.
    My email dress is: wengguofeng@hotmail.com

6. Sep 22, 2009 #5

alxm

Science Advisor

There's no formula for calculating the Stark effect.

Think about it? There's no simple formula for calculating the electronic levels of an atom or molecule without an electrical field. There's not going to be one with a field. It's very difficult.

Here's an model approach, which I guess should at least show some of the difficulties involved:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0402051

7. Sep 23, 2009 #6
    Thank you for you indication, I will reconsider it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook