Calculating the turning moments for a passive wind turbine under yaw

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
james6008
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hi

I have been looking for some simple equations that describe the turning moments on the rotor as wind direction changes. I know this can be relatively complex but I am looking for simplified equations. Has anyone got any information where I can find these? The wind turbine is a small horizontal axis passive turbine with a tail vane. Focus here is on the rotor.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the links :)

The second article mentions
"The typical form of such systems consists of a roller bearing connecting the tower and the nacelle, along with a tail fin mounted on the nacelle which aims to apply an apt torque to the nacelle so as to turn the turbine rotor to the direction of wind."

I have searched everywhere but I can not find an equation that let's me calculate this torque in simplistic terms. If someone has come across it before please let me know.