Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the turning moments for a passive wind turbine under yaw

1. Apr 20, 2014 #1
    Hi

I have been looking for some simple equations that describe the turning moments on the rotor as wind direction changes. I know this can be relatively complex but I am looking for simplified equations. Has anyone got any information where I can find these? The wind turbine is a small horizontal axis passive turbine with a tail vane. Focus here is on the rotor.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 20, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the links :)

The second article mentions
    "The typical form of such systems consists of a roller bearing connecting the tower and the nacelle, along with a tail fin mounted on the nacelle which aims to apply an apt torque to the nacelle so as to turn the turbine rotor to the direction of wind."

I have searched everywhere but I can not find an equation that lets me calculate this torque in simplistic terms. If someone has come across it before please let me know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook