Calculating theoretical principle second moments of an L shaped section

In summary, the person is struggling to understand how to calculate the theoretical value of the principle second moment of area for an L shaped section using Mohr's circle. They have not received a response from the lab demonstrator or the head of labs and are seeking help. The lab sheet outlines the steps to calculate IA, IB, and IAB, and the person is unsure how to calculate these values or convert them to Ix and Iy. They also do not understand how to get IAB from the given values. They are seeking clarification and guidance on the steps needed to complete their laboratory write up.
Roomie

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to complete my laboratory write up over my christmas break, and I'm struggling to understand how to do part of it. I emailed the lab demonstrator on December 9th, and the head of labs on the 18th and I've had no reply off either, so I'd really appreciate it if you guys could try and help me!

I need to calculate the theoretical value of the principle second moment of area for an L shaped section. Using a Mohr's circle apparently.

Here is a scan of the lab sheet explaining what I need to do.. I just don't understand how:

Homework Equations

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630750/Screen%20Shot%202011-12-23%20at%2010.08.40.png

The Attempt at a Solution

If someone can try to explain what I'm supposed to do that would be so helpful! Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The lab sheet seems pretty straightforward:
  1. Calculate IA.
  2. Calculate IB.
  3. Calculate IAB{/sub].
    [*]Follow the instructions on how to construct Mohr's circle from those values.

What part are you having trouble with and what specifically is the problem?

vela said:
The lab sheet seems pretty straightforward:
  1. Calculate IA.
  2. Calculate IB.
  3. Calculate IAB{/sub].
    [*]Follow the instructions on how to construct Mohr's circle from those values.

What part are you having trouble with and what specifically is the problem?

Thanks for the reply, I just don't know how to calculate IA, IB or IAB.

Is there a formula I should know?

Do you know how to calculate the moment of inertia about an axis?

vela said:
Do you know how to calculate the moment of inertia about an axis?

It isn't something I've done a considerable amount of work on, I'm used to using the formulas for common shapes such as beams & cylinders.

But looking through my textbook I've found some examples.

They demonstrate using Ix and Iy, but they're Ia and Ib in my problem I think.

They split it up into sections and then sum them?

using http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630750/Screen%20Shot%202011-12-23%20at%2014.00.29.png

If that's right, how do I get IAB from that? Average them? Or add them?

Plus how do I convert these values from IA and IB to the proper Ix and Iy?

Thanks for your help!

Roomie said:
It isn't something I've done a considerable amount of work on, I'm used to using the formulas for common shapes such as beams & cylinders.

But looking through my textbook I've found some examples.

They demonstrate using Ix and Iy, but they're Ia and Ib in my problem I think.
Right. x, y and A, B are just labels for the axes.

They split it up into sections and then sum them?

using http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630750/Screen%20Shot%202011-12-23%20at%2014.00.29.png
Yes, that's what you want to do to find IA and IB. The moments of inertia about the center of mass for common shapes are tabulated, so there's no need to derive them again. For an axis that doesn't pass through the center of mass, you use the parallel-axis theorem.

If that's right, how do I get IAB from that? Average them? Or add them?
By definition, you have
$$I_{AB} = \int_A ab\ dA$$which for a rectangular section turns out to be ##I_{AB}=a_\mathrm{cm}b_\mathrm{cm}A##. So, again, calculate IAB for each piece and then sum them.

(Sometimes, you'll see a negative sign in the definition. It shouldn't matter here though.)

Plus how do I convert these values from IA and IB to the proper Ix and Iy?
You use Mohr's circle.

Moderator's note: thread moved to Engineering, Comp Sci, & Technology

In the future, please post engineering homework in Engineering, Comp Sci, & Technology instead of Introductory Physics

1. How do you calculate the theoretical principle second moments of an L shaped section?

To calculate the theoretical principle second moments of an L shaped section, you will need to use the formula I = bh^3/12 + b^3h/12, where b is the base of the L shape and h is the height of the L shape. This formula takes into account the moments of inertia for both the horizontal and vertical sections of the L shape.

2. What is the significance of calculating the theoretical principle second moments of an L shaped section?

Theoretical principle second moments are used to determine the structural strength and stability of an L shaped section. These calculations are important in engineering and construction to ensure that a structure can withstand external forces and maintain its shape.

3. Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when calculating the theoretical principle second moments of an L shaped section?

Yes, there are certain limitations and assumptions to consider when calculating these moments. The formula assumes that the L shaped section is made of a uniform material with a constant cross-sectional area and that the section is subjected to pure bending forces. Any variations in material or external forces may affect the accuracy of the calculations.

4. Can the theoretical principle second moments of an L shaped section be calculated for any size or shape of the section?

Yes, the formula for calculating the theoretical principle second moments can be applied to any size or shape of an L shaped section. However, it is important to note that as the size and shape of the section change, the moments of inertia will also change, affecting the overall structural strength and stability of the section.

5. How can the calculated theoretical principle second moments be used in practical applications?

The calculated theoretical principle second moments can be used to design and analyze various structures, such as buildings, bridges, and machinery, to ensure they can withstand external forces and maintain their shape. These calculations can also be used to optimize the design of a structure and reduce material and construction costs.