Calculating Torque and HP for Remote Controlled Tricycle Toy Vehicle

• Thread starter Inventermark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations and considerations for building a remote controlled tricycle-style toy vehicle powered by a single wheel. The weight, drive tire diameter, acceleration, torque, and horsepower are all taken into account, with a rough estimate of 4-6 HP being suggested for the motor. There is also a mention of using SI units for measurements.
Inventermark
I am building a remote controlled toy vehicle, tricycle style powered by a single wheel. Weight is 150lbs drive tire is 24in dia when calculating torque needed and HP
So far I have got acceleration as 7.04 ft/sec that times mass of 150lbs should give me torque, at 2112 ft lbs that times rpm of 300 is 633600 divided by 5252 should give me HP of 120.6? That seems high to me. I was thinking it would be closer to 10 HP... Did I do something wrong? Thanks for any help..

Engineering news on Phys.org
I forgot top speed should be 25 mph and should be able to reach that speed in 5 sec.

Inventermark said:
So far I have got acceleration as 7.04 ft/sec that times mass of 150lbs should give me torque, at 2112 ft lbs

Nope. ( ft/sec) *(lbs) = lb ft/sec Not just ft lb.
The equation you've used is Newtons second: F=ma

If you combine that with the most convenient definition of power:
P = Fv
you get:
P=mav
In words, to have constant acceleration, the engine power must increase linearly with vehicle speed.
Not at all what happens in reality, I'm sure you've noticed that the faster a car is going the slower it's acceleration is; Power is relatively constant so acceleration must decreases as velocity increases.
In other words, your assumption that acceleration is constant is incorrect.

Ok, but I was thinking that my end calculation of 120 HP was really high, can someone give me the right wheel torque and HP? Just a rough idea so I can order a motor, and figure gear ratio's.

Sorry I prefer to work in SI units..

25mph = 11m/s
150lbs = 68kg

The acceleration from post #2 works out at about 2.2m/s2

You could estimate the power required to keep accelerating at 2.2m/s2 at a speed of around 11m/s using

P = FV
P = maV
p = 68*2.2*11 = 1645W or about 2.2HP

Note this is just the power needed to keep accelerating at 2.2m/s2 at around 11m/s. At lower speeds less power is required.

It does not include any extra power required to overcome rolling resistance or drag as you haven't specified this. You could measure it by towing the cart at the required speed and measure tension in the tow rope.

Google suggests typical go-carts have around 2-3 times the above so perhaps shoot for around 4-6 HP. But it's your decision! Racing carts are in the range 20-30HP I believe.

Likes billy_joule and Inventermark
CWatters said:
Sorry I prefer to work in SI units..

25mph = 11m/s
150lbs = 68kg

The acceleration from post #2 works out at about 2.2m/s2

You could estimate the power required to keep accelerating at 2.2m/s2 at a speed of around 11m/s using

P = FV
P = maV
p = 68*2.2*11 = 1645W or about 2.2HP

Note this is just the power needed to keep accelerating at 2.2m/s2 at around 11m/s. At lower speeds less power is required.

It does not include any extra power required to overcome rolling resistance or drag as you haven't specified this. You could measure it by towing the cart at the required speed and measure tension in the tow rope.

Google suggests typical go-carts have around 2-3 times the above so perhaps shoot for around 4-6 HP. But it's your decision! Racing carts are in the range 20-30HP I believe.
Thanks! It helps a lot!

1. What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of how much a force acting on an object causes that object to rotate. It is important because it helps us understand how forces affect the motion of objects and is a crucial concept in fields such as engineering and physics.

2. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force acting on an object and the distance from the point of rotation to where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance. Make sure to use the correct units (e.g. newtons for force and meters for distance) for accurate calculations.

3. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm). However, other units such as pound-feet (lb-ft) or kilogram-force meters (kgf-m) may also be used depending on the system of measurement being used.

4. How do I determine the appropriate torque value for a specific application?

The appropriate torque value for an application depends on several factors, including the type and size of the object, the material it is made of, and the desired level of tightness. It is best to consult with a torque chart or a professional in the field for specific torque values.

5. What are some common tools used for measuring torque?

Some common tools used for measuring torque include torque wrenches, torque screwdrivers, and torque meters. These tools come in various types and sizes to accommodate different torque ranges and applications.