Calculating Tsunami Speed: Physics & German Equations

• Thread starter yjk91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses using physics equations to find the force and magnitude of a wave, specifically a tsunami. The equation for speed is mentioned, but it is noted that this may not be useful for determining the impact of a tsunami on a shore. A German company has attempted to do this, but the website is in German. A potential equation for calculating tsunami speed is mentioned, but it is not very helpful in determining its impact. A resource for further information on this topic is also provided.
yjk91
I was wondering if you could use physics to find the force and magnitude of a wave by using some equations.
speed = frequency x period,if ferq in Hz,period in seconds
I know that this equation would work in finding the speed of a wave, but I'm talking about the speed of tsunami and how hard it will hit when hitting a shore.

There is this german company that tried it and posted bunch of eqations, but i can't read german so i have no clue how they did it. It would be helpful if you can help me one this on.

German website. http://www.noort-innovations.nl/eindverslag%20definitief.pdf
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As a first approximation a tsunami can be consider a shallow wave (because the wavelength is much larger than the depth of the ocean) and in this case the velocity is proportional to sqrt(g H) where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height of the wave.

But that's not terribly useful, it just says that tsunami speed doesn't depend on water depth - it doesn't help you get a value.
See http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/ocng_textbook/chapter17/chapter17_02.htm

Related to Calculating Tsunami Speed: Physics & German Equations

1. How is tsunami speed calculated?

Tsunami speed is calculated using the following equation: v = √(g*h), where v is the speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the depth of the ocean in meters.

2. What is the significance of German equations in calculating tsunami speed?

German equations, also known as the Gerstner equations, are a set of mathematical equations that describe the behavior of water waves, including tsunamis. These equations take into account the effects of depth, wavelength, and wave height on the speed of the wave, making them crucial in accurately calculating tsunami speed.

3. How do the physics principles of wave motion apply to calculating tsunami speed?

The physics principles of wave motion, such as the principle of conservation of energy and the wave dispersion relation, play a key role in calculating tsunami speed. These principles describe the relationship between the physical properties of a wave, such as its energy and wavelength, and its speed.

4. Can tsunami speed be accurately predicted using these calculations?

While the equations used to calculate tsunami speed are based on well-established physics principles, predicting the exact speed of a tsunami can be challenging due to the complexity of the ocean environment. Factors such as water depth, coastline shape, and underwater topography can all affect the speed of a tsunami, making accurate predictions difficult.

5. How does the speed of a tsunami impact its destructive potential?

The speed of a tsunami can greatly impact its destructive potential. A faster-moving tsunami will have more energy and can travel further inland, causing more damage. However, the height and wavelength of the wave also play a significant role in its destructive power. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating and predicting the potential impact of a tsunami.