Calculating volume of bottle of water.

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate arbitrary volumes of water within opaque bottles without coming into contact with the solution. The suggested solution is to use a venturi or a scale, but the accuracy and cost of each method is considered. A specific electronic scale is recommended for accurate and efficient measurement of liquor volumes. Websites for purchasing such scales are also provided.
Paws!
Can a venturi be used to calculate the flow rate of water out of a 1000ml bottle of water to determine an arbitrary volume left within the bottle?

I need to calculate arbitrary volumes of water within opaque bottles of >1000ml without removing or coming into contact with the solution.

I need to calculate results electronically so was thinking of using sensors of a venturi of a way of achieving this.
Anybody have any advice, or a solution?

Thanks.

P.s: This is an independent study, not academic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Paws!.
My approach would be to weight the thing, but I don't know whether or not that meets your requirements.

I have considered that, I'm just not sure how sensitive it would be to changes of around 10ml at a time, and also how accurately I could determine the exact volume remaining in the bottle.
What are your thoughts?

I guess that it depends upon your resources. For the 20 years that I tended bar, I had to do a visual inventory. I actually bought a postal scale to make the job easier, but my boss wouldn't let me use it. (I took the price of it out of the till, though, because she told me ahead of time that I could use one.) The other main bar in town has a really nice electronic scale that plugs into the bar computer. It's accurate to less than a quarter-gram, and the software is programmed with the specific gravities of just about any liquor available on the planet. For instance, 350 grams of Kahlua will show a different volume on the display than will 350 grams of vodka.
If you can find and/or afford a system like that, and have it calibrated to whatever fluid you're using, it could save you some hassle. The system here, back when I was in the business, cost about $2,500, so that's a definite drawback. My postal scale, on the other hand, cost $40 and was accurate to about 1/2 gram. Whether or not that coincides with your 10ml requirement depends upon the density of your fluid.
There are far more sensitive digital (mine was mechanical) scales available, but I don't know what they cost.
If your fluid is dense enough that you don't need a highly accurate measurement, maybe seek out a diabetic friend and ask to use his/her food scale. They're good to within a couple of grams. (I was diabetic for about 30 years, and had to weigh everything that I ate. Jeez, but I'm glad that I discovered beer and gave up on all of that noise.)

Thanks, that maybe useful. Could you point me in the direction of such a system.

P!

Paws! said:
Thanks, that maybe useful. Could you point me in the direction of such a system.

P!

I'll snoop around a bit. Where do you live? (You don't have to be precise, but at least divulge what country you're in.) I'm in western Canada, so it's not likely that our markets overlap.

I'm based in London, uk.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a bottle of water?

To calculate the volume of a bottle of water, you will need to measure the length, width, and height of the bottle using a ruler. Then, use the formula V = lwh, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height. Make sure your measurements are in the same unit, such as centimeters or inches, before calculating the volume.

2. Can I use a different formula to calculate the volume of a bottle of water?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to calculate the volume of a bottle of water, such as the cylindrical volume formula V = πr²h, where V is the volume, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius of the bottle, and h is the height of the bottle. However, this formula is only applicable for bottles with a cylindrical shape.

3. How accurate is the calculated volume of a bottle of water?

The accuracy of the calculated volume depends on the accuracy of your measurements. Make sure to use precise measuring tools and record your measurements carefully to get a more accurate result. However, keep in mind that the volume of a bottle of water may vary slightly due to factors such as temperature and air pressure.

4. Can I calculate the volume of a bottle of water if it has an irregular shape?

Yes, you can still calculate the volume of a bottle of water with an irregular shape. You will need to use the displacement method, where you fill the bottle with a known amount of water and measure the change in water level. The difference in water level represents the volume of the bottle. You can then use the formula V = m/ρ, where V is the volume, m is the mass of water added, and ρ is the density of water (approximately 1 gram per cubic centimeter).

5. Why is it important to calculate the volume of a bottle of water?

Calculating the volume of a bottle of water is important for various reasons. It can help with packaging and transportation, as companies need to know the volume of their products to determine the appropriate packaging size and shipping costs. It is also important for health and safety purposes, as knowing the volume of a bottle can help determine the appropriate dosage for medication or the amount of water needed for hydration.