Calculating volumes by shell and disc method (Looking for Professional advice)

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a region bounded by x = 2 and x = 4, rotated about the x-axis using the shell method. The attempt at a solution involved using both the disc method and shell method, which resulted in different answers. After some discussion and clarification, it was determined that the shell method should always give the same result as the disc method. The final solution involved shifting the problem to a different equivalent problem to make the calculations easier.
The_ArtofScience

Homework Statement

The function is y = 2 - x. The region is bounded by x = 2 and x = 4. Calculate its volume by the shell method by rotating it by the x axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has been consuming my mind. I calculated it by the disc method and shell method but I got 2 different answers.

Disc method:

∫ pi (y^2) dx...Evaluated from 2 to 4
∫ pi(2 - x)^2 dx

Result : 8pi/3

Shell method:

∫ 2pi*y*x*dy...Evalluated from -2 to 0.
∫ 2pi(y^2) dy

Result : 16pi/3

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your shell volume element is set up correctly...

can you show you steps in getting to each element

ie for the shell case
r(y) = ?
L(y) = ?
A = 2.pi.r(y).L(y)
dV = A.dy

Also this problem can be simplified by shifting to the equivalent problem of y=x rotated about x-axis with x from 0 to 2, which makes it a little easier, i did it this way and get 8.pi/3 for both

disclaimer: this advice is in no way professional

lanedance said:
I don't think your shell volume element is set up correctly...

can you show you steps in getting to each element

ie for the shell case
r(y) = ?
L(y) = ?
A = 2.pi.r(y).L(y)
dV = A.dy

Also this problem can be simplified by shifting to the equivalent problem of y=x rotated about x-axis with x from 0 to 2, whic makes it a little easier

Hi again

Alright, kinda tired at this point (its 2am here) but I'm willing to show all steps

For the shell the method the way I thought about it was folding it into a crown in "3 d." The circumference is just 2*pi*y times height x thickness dy which in your terms would be 2*pi*y*(2 - x) dy. The reason why I ended up with 2 - x is because the crown is bigger at one end yet thins out on the other side.

r(y) = y
L(y) = 2 - x

So this was a strange problem for me, because 2 - x actually just reduces to y. No matter how hard I tried making it looking different. So yeah, I got 2pi*y^2 dy. Evaluated from the limits -2 to 0. I haven't thought about the function being shifted but I'll test that idea. We'll see

Edit #2: Ok I got the same thing here, 8pi/3. You were right about shifting it. Although your method seems not so intuitive at first.

Last question though, does the shell method always give the same answer as the disc method in your experience? I get kinda thrown off by using each methods sometimes

Last edited:
The_ArtofScience said:
Last question though, does the shell method always give the same answer as the disc method in your experience? I get kinda thrown off by using each methods sometimes

the shell method & disc method will always give the same result for well behaved functions revolved around an axis - you're calculating the volume, which is invariant of what method you use.

So the shell method should give the same result here, regardless of the shift, so I'm not too sure what happened in your calc

Generally they can both get pretty complicated & its easy to lose some arithmetic along the way. So the trick usually is to choose shell/disc based on which one is easiest to set up, and exploit whatever symmetry there is in the problem to make it as easy as possible

1. What is the difference between the shell method and the disc method for calculating volumes?

The shell method and the disc method are both techniques used to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution. The shell method involves slicing the solid into thin cylindrical shells and adding up their volumes. The disc method, on the other hand, involves slicing the solid into thin discs and adding up their volumes. The main difference between the two methods is the shape of the slices used.

2. When should I use the shell method versus the disc method?

The decision to use the shell method or the disc method depends on the shape of the solid of revolution. If the solid has a circular cross section, then the disc method is more appropriate. If the solid has a non-circular cross section or if the axis of rotation is along its height, then the shell method is more suitable. It is important to visualize the solid and determine the appropriate method to use before proceeding with calculations.

3. How do I set up the integral for the shell method?

The integral for the shell method is set up by considering a thin cylindrical shell with radius r, height h, and thickness ∆x. The volume of this shell is given by 2πrh∆x. By adding up the volumes of all the shells, we can express the total volume as an integral: ∫2πrh dx, where r and h are functions of x. The limits of integration will depend on the bounds of the solid and the axis of rotation.

4. Can the shell and disc methods be used for any solid of revolution?

Yes, these methods can be used for any solid of revolution as long as the cross section is known and the axis of rotation is specified. The shape of the slices used will vary depending on the shape of the solid and the chosen method, but the principle remains the same. It is important to check for symmetry and choose the appropriate method to simplify calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the shell and disc methods?

The shell and disc methods are powerful tools for calculating volumes of solids of revolution, but they do have some limitations. These methods can only be applied to solids with a known cross section and a single axis of rotation. They also assume that the solid is continuous and does not have any holes or gaps. In some cases, other methods such as the washer method or the method of cylindrical shells may be more suitable.