Calculating Work and Power in Basic Physics: A Case Study

In summary, Jessica runs up a 5 meter high stair in 10 seconds with a mass of 55kg. Her force is 550N, she does 2750J of work, and produces 275 watts of power. This has been causing stress for two days, but with the correct calculations, it can be solved.
WillyTech
Ok, here's the deal, this is a physics problem that might seem basic to you. But to me its a pain, I've been working on this problem for 2 days now, and my group members are of no assistance to me. They have different answers than i do which i didn't agree to.

The question
Jessica runs up a 5 meter high stair to get to class on time. Her mass is 55kg and it takes her 10 seconds to run up the stairs.
A. What is her force?
B. How much work does she do?
C. How much power does she produce?

Heres the work that i have already put into and i am not sure if I am wrong or not.

Force- since F=m*a (due to gravity) i took 55kg multiplied to 10m/s2.
Since gravity pulls at roughly 9.8m/s2 -> i round to 10m/s2
55kg*10m/s2 = 550kg m/s2
(And i said that kg m/s2 is=to (Newtons)
So my force is 550N

Work- since W=F*d I took my force 550N and multiplied to 5m.
N*m = Joules
550N*5m = 2750 J
So my work is 2750J

Power- since P=w/t I took my work 2750J and divide by my time 10sec.
work/time=watts
2750J/10s = 275watts
So my power is 275Watts

I am not sure that these are correct but its been killing me for 2 days just thinking about it. And i know you guys out there can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay to me so far. Thanks for posting your work so far -- that makes it a lot more practical for us to help you. BTW, don't round 9.8 to 10.0 for these calcs. 9.8 is a good solid number to use. Keep up the good work.

Ok, ill keep the 9.8 in mind. Thanks:smile:

Willy

Yes that is correct. Your work will be defined as:

[tex] W = \int_{x1}^{x2} {Fdx} [/tex]

It is also defined as

[tex] W = \Delta U + \Delta KE[/tex]

Since there is no change in kinetic energy overall, you work with the potential energy. If she is 55kg and is 5m up, you can determine the work done by her. You can then determine power by this. Since your initial x value is 0, a simple F*dx calculation is accurate.

Related to Calculating Work and Power in Basic Physics: A Case Study

1. What is the purpose of your basic physics work?

The purpose of my basic physics work is to study and understand the fundamental principles and laws of physics, and apply them to real-world problems and phenomena.

2. What methods do you use in your basic physics work?

I use a combination of experimental techniques and mathematical models to collect and analyze data, make predictions, and test theories.

3. How does physics impact our daily lives?

Physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from the technology we use to the natural processes that govern our world. It helps us understand everything from the motion of objects to the behavior of light and electricity.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is only relevant to scientists or engineers. In reality, physics concepts are present in everyday life, and understanding them can help us make informed decisions. Another misconception is that physics is only about memorizing equations, when in fact it is about problem-solving and critical thinking.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

Improving your understanding of physics requires practice and a strong foundation in the fundamental concepts. It can be helpful to engage in hands-on experiments, work through problems, and seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.