Calculation of Curie Constant for Iron in Metallic Form

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 19K views
Amith2006
Messages
416
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



As none are responding to my query posted in Introductory Physics section, I am posting it here. Someone please guide me!
1)The curie temperature of iron is 1043 Kelvin. Assume that iron atoms, when in metallic form have moments of 2 Bohr magneton per atom. Iron is body centered cube with lattice parameter a = 0.286 nm. Calculate the curie constant.


Homework Equations


C = [(m^2)(mu)N]/[3K]



The Attempt at a Solution



I solved it in the following way:
Let m be the magnetic moment of an iron atom, N be the number of atoms per unit volume, K be the Boltzmann constant, mu be the permeability of free space and C be the Curie constant.
m = 2[m(B)] {where m(B) is Bohr magneton}
= 18.54 x 10^(-24) A-m^2
N = n/(a^3) {where n is number of atoms in 1 cubic lattice of iron}
= 2/[(0.286 x 10^(-9))^3]
= 8.5 x 10^28 atoms per unit volume
C = [(m^2)(mu)N]/[3K]
C = 0.89
But the answer given in my book is 0.66.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the difference is related to the phrase "body centered cube". Are you sure there are 2 atoms per lattice cube? I'd check around under subjects like "atomic packing factor" to make sure.
 
On second thought the 2 seems ok. Hmm. I'm no expert in this field.
 
What on Earth is preventing you all from answering?