Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of particles by integral

1. Mar 12, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I would like to calculate total number of particles in one periodic wave-section whose radius varies by h(z)=1+A*sin(2*pi*z/L), where A is the profile amplitude and L is the wavelength of one wave-section.
    I thought, I will do by volume integration, say integral over V (volume of one wave-section) and the integrand is the concentration C(z,r,t), where z & r are the axial and radial direction respectively, and I want to integrate w.r. to V, i.e., dV.

Can anybody give idea about this calculation?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2015 #2
    I'm having trouble figuring out what you're trying to calculate. I'm assuming you have a separate function for concentration you haven't listed? C(z,r,t)

In this case, you are correct. C(z,r,t) will be the integrand and you will integrate over the entire wave-section volume. The next step in this is figuring out exactly what is in that infinitesimal element dV. What's a convenient way to express volume given the coordinate system?

4. Mar 12, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your response, Overt. I want to express dV=dA*dz, where dA is the area of a circle and dz is the step size in z-direction. Now, the question is, how can I express dA? Will it be dA=2*pi*r*dr or dA=pi*h(z)^2, where h(z) is the tube radius at z?

5. Mar 12, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The correct formula would be dv = A * dz. In other words, it wouldn't be dA * dz. Based on what you have said, the cross-sectional area A would be ##\pi (h(z))^2##.

6. Mar 12, 2015 #5
    Thanks, Mark.

7. Mar 12, 2015 #6
    So, finally the integral will come into the form \int^{}_{V} C(z,r,t) dV=\pi \int^{}_{z} C(z,r,t) h^2(z) dz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook