Calculation of particles by integral

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the total number of particles in one periodic wave-section with a varying radius. The method involves volume integration using the concentration function C(z,r,t) as the integrand and expressing the infinitesimal element dV as the product of the cross-sectional area A and the step size in the z-direction, dz. The question is then how to express the cross-sectional area, with the conclusion being that it is equal to ##\pi (h(z))^2##.
nazmulislam
Hi,

I would like to calculate total number of particles in one periodic wave-section whose radius varies by h(z)=1+A*sin(2*pi*z/L), where A is the profile amplitude and L is the wavelength of one wave-section.
I thought, I will do by volume integration, say integral over V (volume of one wave-section) and the integrand is the concentration C(z,r,t), where z & r are the axial and radial direction respectively, and I want to integrate w.r. to V, i.e., dV.

Can anybody give idea about this calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble figuring out what you're trying to calculate. I'm assuming you have a separate function for concentration you haven't listed? C(z,r,t)

In this case, you are correct. C(z,r,t) will be the integrand and you will integrate over the entire wave-section volume. The next step in this is figuring out exactly what is in that infinitesimal element dV. What's a convenient way to express volume given the coordinate system?

Thanks for your response, Overt. I want to express dV=dA*dz, where dA is the area of a circle and dz is the step size in z-direction. Now, the question is, how can I express dA? Will it be dA=2*pi*r*dr or dA=pi*h(z)^2, where h(z) is the tube radius at z?

nazmulislam said:
Thanks for your response, Overt. I want to express dV=dA*dz, where dA is the area of a circle and dz is the step size in z-direction. Now, the question is, how can I express dA? Will it be dA=2*pi*r*dr or dA=pi*h(z)^2, where h(z) is the tube radius at z?
The correct formula would be dv = A * dz. In other words, it wouldn't be dA * dz. Based on what you have said, the cross-sectional area A would be ##\pi (h(z))^2##.

Thanks, Mark.

So, finally the integral will come into the form \int^{}_{V} C(z,r,t) dV=\pi \int^{}_{z} C(z,r,t) h^2(z) dz.

1. What is the purpose of calculating particles by integral?

The calculation of particles by integral is used to determine the number of particles present in a given volume or space. This information is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

2. What is the mathematical concept behind calculating particles by integral?

The mathematical concept behind calculating particles by integral is based on the principles of calculus. It involves using integrals to calculate the volume under a curve, which represents the distribution of particles in a given space.

3. How do you perform the calculation of particles by integral?

To perform the calculation of particles by integral, you first need to determine the distribution function of the particles in the given space. Then, using calculus, you can integrate the function to find the volume under the curve, which represents the number of particles in the space.

4. What are the factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation of particles by integral?

The accuracy of the calculation of particles by integral can be affected by factors such as the complexity of the distribution function, measurement errors, and assumptions made in the calculation process. It is important to carefully consider these factors to ensure the accuracy of the results.

5. What are the applications of calculating particles by integral in real-world scenarios?

The calculation of particles by integral has many applications in various fields. It is used in environmental studies to determine air pollution levels, in pharmaceutical research to analyze drug distribution in the body, and in material science to study particle behavior in different materials. It is also used in engineering to design and optimize systems that involve particle interactions, such as fluid dynamics and heat transfer.