How Do You Calculate Forces and Sums with Uncertainties?

In summary, when calculating force (F=ma) using an uncertain mass of 24.5kg +- 0.2kg and acceleration of -9.81m/s^2, the final answer would be -240.345N +- 1.962N. For addition and subtraction, if the uncertainties are independent, they should be added or subtracted along with the values to get the final result.
jaydnul
My textbook isn't very clear on this. Let's say i find the mass of an object to be 24.5kg +-.2kg. Then i want to use that answer to calculate F (F=ma) when acceleration is equal to -9.81m/s2. What would the final answer look like. Also what about addition and subtraction. For sake of simplicity, (24.5kg +-.2kg) + (6.2kg)=?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
lundyjb said:
My textbook isn't very clear on this. Let's say i find the mass of an object to be 24.5kg +-.2kg. Then i want to use that answer to calculate F (F=ma) when acceleration is equal to -9.81m/s2. What would the final answer look like. Also what about addition and subtraction. For sake of simplicity, (24.5kg +-.2kg) + (6.2kg)=?

Thanks

For the first question you could calculate the force for each of the lower and upper error bar values (24.3 and 24.7 kg) and the midpoint value assuming the midpoint is your "best" or expected value. For the second question, are you assuming the error is negligible for the 6.2 value? If so you can simply add it to the first midpoint value and bring the error bars down to your sum. If the errors were non zero standard deviations you would generally square the errors, add them and then take the square root of the sum if the errors are independent.

If you're calculating a mean, then the individual observations would not have error bars. The standard error or standard deviation of the mean (they are not the same) of the sample would be calculated in the usual way.

EDIT: I think the reason your textbook is vague on this is because it depends on whether the errors are measured directly from some target value, or if they are calculated from a sample using statistical methods. In direct measurement of a contingent process, the errors are additive. In statistical samples the "error" is simply a measure of the variation in a sample around a mean or average value and uses some version of the mean squared error.

Last edited:
If you only have one value that has any uncertainty, it's easy. If you are combining uncertainties, it's a little more difficult, and it depends on whether the uncertainties are independent. In your example, you only have one uncertain value, so if you multiply the value, you should multiply the uncertainty as well. Use your intuition here; I'd be surprised if that gave you the wrong answer.

Khashishi said:
In your example, you only have one uncertain value, so if you multiply the value, you should multiply the uncertainty as well. Use your intuition here; I'd be surprised if that gave you the wrong answer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "multiply the uncertainty". In the OPs example, there are error bars around the kg value. I suggested that he use the lower and upper limit values of the interval to calculate the interval for force. This is not multiplication of the uncertainty ( plus or minus 0.2kg).

Last edited:
what I mean is a*(m +- e) = am +- ae
-9.81m/s^2 * (24.5kg +- 0.2kg) = -240.345N +- 1.962N

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Forces and Sums with Uncertainties?

What is "calculation with uncertainties"?

"Calculation with uncertainties" is a method used in scientific research to account for the inherent uncertainty or variability in measurements and calculations. It involves using statistical tools and techniques to estimate the range of possible values for a given result, taking into account the precision and accuracy of the measurements involved.

Why is it important to consider uncertainties in calculations?

Uncertainties can arise from various sources, such as instrument limitations, human error, and natural variability in the system being studied. By taking uncertainties into account, scientists can better understand the reliability and significance of their results and make more informed decisions based on their findings.

How are uncertainties represented in calculations?

Uncertainties are typically represented by an additional term or "error bar" in the final result, which indicates the range of possible values that the true value may fall within. This can be expressed as a percentage, decimal, or range of values, depending on the type and magnitude of the uncertainty.

What are the main methods for calculating uncertainties?

The two main methods for calculating uncertainties are the "absolute" and "relative" methods. In the absolute method, uncertainties are expressed in the same units as the measured quantity, while in the relative method, uncertainties are calculated as a percentage of the measured value.

How can uncertainties be minimized in calculations?

Uncertainties can be minimized by using more precise and accurate instruments, performing multiple measurements, and using statistical methods to analyze and reduce sources of variation. It is also important to carefully document and report all sources of uncertainty in order to evaluate the reliability of the final result.

Back