Calculations - absolute stability

In summary, the conversation is about determining the order of accuracy for a given Runge-Kutta method and finding the value of h for absolute stability when applied to a given system of equations. The method has been found to have an order of accuracy of 2 and the region of absolute stability is given by the set S={z∈C:∣∣z2/2+z+1∣∣<1}. One of the speakers also mentions that the stability function can be found using the formula r(z)=1+zbT(I−zA)−1e=det(I−zA+zebT)/det(I−zA).
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave) The following Runge-Kutta method is given.

$$ \begin{array}{c|ccccc}
\tau_1 =0 & a_{11}=0 & a_{12} = 0\\
\tau_2 =\frac{5}{2} & a_{21} = \frac{5}{2} & a_{22} = 0\\
\hline
& b_1 = \frac{4}{5} & b_2 = \frac{1}{5} & \
\end{array} $$

I have to determine the order of accuracy and I found that it is $2$.

Then if the method is applied at the system $\\y_1'=-80y_1+20y_2 \\
y_2'=20y_1-80y_2$ what $h$ should we take so that the calculations get done with absolute stability?

How can we find such an $ h$?
I found that the region of absolute stability is $S=\{ z \in \mathbb{C}: |\frac{z^2}{2}+z+1|<1\}$. Does this help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi! (Mmm)

What do your notes say absolute stability is exactly? And how to find it? (Wondering)

Wiki says that the stability function $r$ is:
$$r(z) = 1 + z b^T (I-zA)^{-1} e = \frac{\det(I-zA+zeb^T)}{\det(I-zA)}$$
where $e$ stands for the vector of ones, and $b^T$ is the bottom row of the tableau. (Thinking)

Related to Calculations - absolute stability

1. What is absolute stability in calculations?

Absolute stability in calculations refers to the ability of a mathematical model or algorithm to produce accurate and consistent results regardless of the initial conditions or inputs. It is a measure of the reliability and robustness of a calculation method.

2. How is absolute stability determined?

Absolute stability is determined by analyzing the behavior of a mathematical model or algorithm over a range of inputs or conditions. If the results remain consistent and accurate, the method is considered to have absolute stability.

3. Why is absolute stability important in scientific calculations?

Absolute stability is important in scientific calculations because it ensures that the results are reliable and can be used to make accurate predictions or decisions. It also indicates the level of confidence that can be placed in the calculation method.

4. Can absolute stability be achieved in all calculations?

No, absolute stability cannot be achieved in all calculations. It depends on the complexity of the problem and the accuracy of the calculation method. Some problems may require more sophisticated methods to achieve absolute stability.

5. How can absolute stability be improved in calculations?

Absolute stability can be improved by using more accurate and robust calculation methods, as well as by carefully selecting and validating the initial conditions and inputs. It is also important to regularly test and refine the calculation process to ensure continued stability.