1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 1 relative rates question

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An airplane flies at an altitude of 8 miles toward a point directly over an observer (see figure). The speed of the plane is 600 miles per hour. Find the rates at which the angle of elevation θ is changing when the angle is θ = 30°, θ = 60°, and θ = 80°.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried solving this problem by my self but i kept getting stuck at one the same spot every time.

(db/dt)=600
    y=8

tanθ=8/x

sec^2(θ) * dθ/dt = 8/x^2 * 600

and that's as far i get every time and i don't know if I'm doing it right or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Makes more sense to call the plane's velocity dx/dt. Also, since the plane is flying toward the observer, x is decreasing, so dx/dt < 0.
    d/dt(8/x) = d/dt(8x-1) = -8x-2 * dx/dt
    Notice that the right side represents a positive number if x > 0.

Other than that, your equation of the rates looks fine. Now solve for dθ/dt, and evaluate it at the three given values of θ. Don't forget to convert the angles to radians.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted