Calculating Light Beam Speed with Inverse Trig Functions

In summary, the problem asks for the speed of the light beam along the warehouse wall when the beam makes a 45° angle with the line perpendicular from the light to the wall. Using the equation tanθ = x/50, where θ is the angle and x is the distance from the patrol car to the wall, and taking the derivative, the speed is calculated to be 6000π ft/min.
imull

Homework Statement

A patrol car is 50 ft from a long warehouse. The revolving light on top of the car turns at a rate of 30 rotations per minute. How fast is the beam of light moving along the warehouse wall when the beam makes a 45° angle with the line perpendicular from the light to the wall?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I started out by setting θ as a function of x : tanθ=(x/50)→θ=arctan(x/50). So when θ=45°, x=50ft. dθ/dt is 30(2∏)=60∏. So taking the derivative: dθ/dt=[(50)/(502+x2)]dx/dt. After substituting values, 60∏=(0.01)dx/dt→dx/dt=6000∏ ft/min. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
imull said:

Homework Statement

A patrol car is 50 ft from a long warehouse. The revolving light on top of the car turns at a rate of 30 rotations per minute. How fast is the beam of light moving along the warehouse wall when the beam makes a 45° angle with the line perpendicular from the light to the wall?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I started out by setting θ as a function of x : tanθ=(x/50)→θ=arctan(x/50). So when θ=45°, x=50ft. dθ/dt is 30(2∏)=60∏. So taking the derivative: dθ/dt=[(50)/(502+x2)]dx/dt. After substituting values, 60∏=(0.01)dx/dt→dx/dt=6000∏ ft/min. Is this right?

Yes, it is right. But you didn't really need to go through the arctan stuff. Just differentiate both sides of 50tanθ=x.

Last edited:
Okay, thank you. The reason that I did the arctan stuff was because we're doing arctan derivatives, so I figured my teacher would want me to do it that way.

Related to Calculating Light Beam Speed with Inverse Trig Functions

1. What are inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that are used to find the angle measure of a triangle when given the ratio of its sides. They are the inverse operations of trigonometric functions, which are used to find the ratio of sides when given an angle measure.

2. What are the most commonly used inverse trigonometric functions?

The most commonly used inverse trigonometric functions are arcsine (sin-1), arccosine (cos-1), and arctangent (tan-1). These functions are used to find the angle measure of a triangle when given the ratio of its sides.

3. How do I solve inverse trigonometric function problems?

To solve inverse trigonometric function problems, you need to first identify which inverse function is needed based on the given ratio of sides. Then, use the inverse function to find the angle measure by plugging in the given ratio. Finally, use a calculator or trigonometric tables to find the approximate value of the angle measure.

4. What is the range of inverse trigonometric functions?

The range of inverse trigonometric functions depends on the specific function being used. The range of arcsine and arccosine is between -π/2 and π/2, while the range of arctangent is between -π/2 and π/2. It is important to check the range when solving inverse trigonometric function problems to ensure that the answer is within the correct range.

5. How are inverse trigonometric functions used in real-life applications?

Inverse trigonometric functions are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, they can be used to calculate the angle of elevation or depression in construction projects, determine the trajectory of a projectile, or navigate a ship at sea using the stars.