1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculus Analysis proof

1. Jul 16, 2010 #1

K29

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]g[/tex] is a continuous and differentiable function on[tex](a,b)[/tex]. Prove that if for all [tex]x\in(a,b)[/tex], [tex]g'(x)\neq0\Rightarrow[/tex] g is an injective function.

Is there anything wrong about my proof? I'm not comfortable in making logical mathematical arguments: I usually make small inaccuracies. Or do a lot of work going down a bad path Any help appreciated.

3. The attempt at a solution

We select an arbitrary sub-interval on [tex](a,b)[/tex]. We call it [tex](m,n)[/tex] We know that g is also continuous and differentiable on any sub-interval of the interval that it is continuous and differentiable on.

The "injective functoin" has the definition that [tex]f(a)=f(b)\Rightarrow a=b[/tex] That is, no two values on the domain can map to the same point on the co-domain.

So for now we shall assume that[tex]f(m)=f(n)[/tex]. This allows us to make use of the Mean value theorem which states that if a function is continuous and, differentiable on an interval, in this case [tex](m,n)[/tex] and [tex]f(m)=f(n)[/tex] then [tex]\exists c\in (m,n)[/tex] such that [tex]g'(c) = 0[/tex]. This leads to a contradiction as [tex]g'(x)\neq0[/tex]. Therefor no such interval [tex](m,n)[/tex] can exist. Hence [tex]f(m)=f(n)\Rightarrow m=n[/tex] (The point m on the domain is equivalent to(the same point as) n) and [tex]g[/tex] is injective.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The proof is ok. Your phrasing at the beginning is pretty awkward. You aren't selecting (m,n) to be an arbitrary sub-interval. You are doing a proof by contradiction. So you assume f is NOT injective. If f is NOT injective then there are two different points m and n such that f(m)=f(n). Now the rest of the proof is fine.

4. Jul 17, 2010 #3

K29

Thanks very much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook