Is my Proof for Proving g is Injective on (a,b) Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a continuous and differentiable function on an interval is injective if its derivative is never equal to zero on that interval. The approach involves assuming the function is not injective and using the Mean Value Theorem to reach a contradiction. The expert concludes that the proof presented is correct, but suggests rephrasing the beginning for clarity.
K29

Homework Statement

[tex]g[/tex] is a continuous and differentiable function on[tex](a,b)[/tex]. Prove that if for all [tex]x\in(a,b)[/tex], [tex]g'(x)\neq0\Rightarrow[/tex] g is an injective function.

Is there anything wrong about my proof? I'm not comfortable in making logical mathematical arguments: I usually make small inaccuracies. Or do a lot of work going down a bad path Any help appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

We select an arbitrary sub-interval on [tex](a,b)[/tex]. We call it [tex](m,n)[/tex] We know that g is also continuous and differentiable on any sub-interval of the interval that it is continuous and differentiable on.

The "injective functoin" has the definition that [tex]f(a)=f(b)\Rightarrow a=b[/tex] That is, no two values on the domain can map to the same point on the co-domain.

So for now we shall assume that[tex]f(m)=f(n)[/tex]. This allows us to make use of the Mean value theorem which states that if a function is continuous and, differentiable on an interval, in this case [tex](m,n)[/tex] and [tex]f(m)=f(n)[/tex] then [tex]\exists c\in (m,n)[/tex] such that [tex]g'(c) = 0[/tex]. This leads to a contradiction as [tex]g'(x)\neq0[/tex]. Therefor no such interval [tex](m,n)[/tex] can exist. Hence [tex]f(m)=f(n)\Rightarrow m=n[/tex] (The point m on the domain is equivalent to(the same point as) n) and [tex]g[/tex] is injective.

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof is ok. Your phrasing at the beginning is pretty awkward. You aren't selecting (m,n) to be an arbitrary sub-interval. You are doing a proof by contradiction. So you assume f is NOT injective. If f is NOT injective then there are two different points m and n such that f(m)=f(n). Now the rest of the proof is fine.

Thanks very much!

What is a "Calculus Analysis proof"?

A "Calculus Analysis proof" is a mathematical argument or demonstration that uses the principles of calculus to prove the validity of a statement or theorem. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to show that a given statement is true.

Why is it important to learn how to write a "Calculus Analysis proof"?

Learning how to write a "Calculus Analysis proof" is important because it helps develop critical thinking skills and the ability to apply mathematical concepts in a logical and rigorous manner. It also allows for a deeper understanding of calculus and its applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the key components of a "Calculus Analysis proof"?

The key components of a "Calculus Analysis proof" include stating the assumptions and definitions, providing a clear and logical argument, and using established theorems and principles of calculus to support the proof. It is also important to clearly communicate the steps and conclusions using precise mathematical notation.

How do I know if my "Calculus Analysis proof" is correct?

A "Calculus Analysis proof" is considered correct if it follows the rules of logic, is based on sound assumptions and definitions, and uses valid mathematical techniques. It is also important to check for any errors or mistakes and to seek feedback from peers or instructors.

What are some tips for writing a successful "Calculus Analysis proof"?

Some tips for writing a successful "Calculus Analysis proof" include understanding the problem thoroughly, breaking it down into smaller, manageable steps, using clear and concise language, and providing detailed explanations for each step. It is also helpful to practice and seek feedback from others to improve your skills.