How Do You Differentiate the Product of Two Functions Using the Chain Rule?

I don't think you can simplify further.In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating the expression (5x-1)^4)((8x^2-5)^-3) and the steps involved. The final result is (5x-1)^3)((8x^2-5)^-4)(-80x^2+48x -100).
ahazen
I am trying to differentiate ((5x-1)^4)((8x^2-5)^-3) but i am stuck at a certain point...
Can you please help me fill in the blanks?

Thank you so much:):)

Work done:
1st step: (5x-1)^4 d/dx (8x^2-5)^-3 + (8x^2-5)^-3 d/dx(5x-1)^4

2nd step: (5x-1)^4 (-3)(8x^2-5)^-4 (16x)(8x^2-5)^-3 + (4)(5x-1)^3 (5)

3rd step: (I don't know what goes here...something x) (5x-1)^4 (8x^2-5)^-4 +9(5x-1)^4 (8x^2-5)^-3

Answer: 4(5x-4)^3 (8x^2-5)^-4 (I don't know what goes here)

Physics news on Phys.org
f = ((5x-1)^4)((8x^2-5)^-3)
f' = ((5x-1)^4)'(8x^2-5)^-3) + ((5x-1)^4)((8x^2-5)^-3)'
f' = (4*5(5x-1)^3)(8x^2-5)^-3) + ((5x-1)^4)(16x*(-3)(8x^2-5)^-4)
simplify
f' = 20((5x-1)^3)((8x^2-5)^-3) -48x((5x-1)^4)((8x^2-5)^-4)
f' = ((5x-1)^3)((8x^2-5)^-4)(-80x^2+48x -100)

Not sure if this helps

Related to How Do You Differentiate the Product of Two Functions Using the Chain Rule?

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule in calculus is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important in calculus?

The chain rule is important in calculus because it allows us to find the rate of change of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. It is a fundamental tool used in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do you apply the chain rule in calculus?

To apply the chain rule in calculus, you first identify the inner and outer functions in the composite function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This gives you the derivative of the composite function.

4. Can you give an example of using the chain rule in calculus?

Sure, an example of using the chain rule in calculus is finding the derivative of the function f(x) = (x^2 + 1)^3. First, we identify the inner function as x^2 + 1 and the outer function as ( )^3. Then, we take the derivative of the outer function (3( )^2) and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function (2x). This gives us the derivative of the composite function f'(x) = 6x(x^2 + 1)^2.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tips for using the chain rule in calculus?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts and tips for using the chain rule in calculus. One is the "outside-inside" rule, where you first take the derivative of the outside function, then substitute the inside function for the variable and take its derivative. Another tip is to remember the chain rule as "derivative of the outside, times the derivative of the inside."