1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus: Given parabola and vx in terms of x and c, prove constant velocity

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    Here an AP Physics problem that's really bugging me.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves along the parabola with equation y = .5x^2

part a) I believe I did this correct.

part b) Suppose that the particle moves with a velocity whose x-component is given by vx = c / (1 + x^2)^.5 Show that the particle's speed is constant.

Below I have images of the question and my attempted work. I think maybe for the first half of my work I was in the right direction; I got y in terms of t, and I was going to find the derivative to show that there is no acceleration, but I couldn't get the equation to equal y, and I ultimately became confused and went off track.

3. The attempt at a solution
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I know; my work is a mess.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Have you considered that if Vx = c/(1+x2)1/2 that x would be given by the integral?

In this regard isn't the x position as a function of time given by the integral of Vx(t)

[tex] \int \frac{c*dx}{(x^2 + 1)^{1/2}} = c*arcsinh(x) + C = c*arcsinh(x) + c[/tex]

C is c because V=c at x=0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?