Need Help with Calculus Assignment? Check Out These Solutions!

In summary, the speaker is a first-year university student seeking help with their calculus assignment. They have uploaded the assignment online and are struggling to understand the material. They are specifically having difficulties with creating a function and solving for conic sections. They have attempted to solve the problems but are still in need of assistance.
sulai3

Homework Statement

hello, i really need help with my calculus assignment please. i looked over it many times and still no idea how to do it, what we have for lectures is completely different from this first assignment. i am a first year student at university. i uploaded the assignment online at sendspace, it is the only first two pages, and there 3 questions. thank you. any help would be appreciated.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/51brfu

Homework Equations

http://www.sendspace.com/file/51brfu

The Attempt at a Solution

i really have no idea how to do it, that is why i really need your help on this. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't really show that you made an attempt at a solution.

For b, try creating yourself a function (ie, maybe you can create a function g such that g(x) = f(x) - x). You know the sum of two continuous functions is continuous, so you can apply the IVT here.

2 is just conic sections (I believe that's what they are called) and you can figure it out by simply playing with the equations. Though you may want to draw some rough pictures to see what is going on.

i did have a look at it, i am having difficulties with it trying to even solve it, thank you for the information

1. What is Calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to solve real-world problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion. Calculus is important because it provides a powerful set of tools for understanding and solving problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. How is Calculus different from other branches of mathematics?

Calculus is different from other branches of mathematics in that it focuses on the concept of change and motion, rather than just numbers and equations. It involves the use of limits, derivatives, and integrals to solve problems that cannot be solved using algebra or other methods.

3. What are some common applications of Calculus?

Calculus has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to predict the motion of objects, optimize functions, analyze data, and much more.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Calculus?

To improve your understanding of Calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and work through various examples. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get a better understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in Calculus.

5. What are some common challenges students face when learning Calculus?

Some common challenges students face when learning Calculus include understanding the abstract concepts, mastering the various techniques involved, and applying them to solve problems. It is important to stay organized, practice regularly, and seek help when needed to overcome these challenges.