Calculus II - Infinite Series - Geometric Series

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help to understand a problem that involves evaluating an equation and finding the intermediate steps that were left out. The equation in question is 56-k=56/5k\sum\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)^k 5^{6-k}, and the person consulted their solutions manual for the first step, but is still unsure how the two sides are equal. They provide their attempt at solving the problem and mention that it involves algebra and exponents.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Hi,

I'm trying to solve the problem in the attachment. I was asked to evaluate the left hand side equation of the equal sign. I was unsure how to go about evaluating it so I consulted my solutions manual to look up the first step. The right hand side equation of the equal sign is what my solutions manual did for the first step. I do not see how the two are equal and what intermediate steps were left out to prove that the two are equal. I was hoping someone could explain to me what was done. I have the feeling that whatever intermediate steps were performed to go from the right hand side to the left hand side of the equal sign are very simple and is the reason why they were left hand but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks for any help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• help.JPG
    help.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
56-k=56/5k

[tex]\sum\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)^k 5^{6-k} = \sum\left(\frac{1^k}{4^k}\right)\frac{5^6}{5^k} = \sum\frac{5^6}{4^k 5^k} = 5^6 \sum\frac{1}{\left(4 * 5\right)^k}= 5^6 \sum\frac{1}{20^k} = 5^6\sum\left(\frac{1}{20}\right)^k[/tex]

Lol an algebra II thing with exponents >_>, much thanks

What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a series where each term is multiplied by a common ratio to get the next term. For example, a geometric series with a common ratio of 2 would look like: 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 + ...

What is the formula for finding the sum of an infinite geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of an infinite geometric series is S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

What is the convergence of a geometric series?

A geometric series converges if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1. In other words, if the common ratio is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge and not have a finite sum.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric series?

A finite geometric series has a fixed number of terms, while an infinite geometric series continues on infinitely. Additionally, a finite geometric series has a finite sum, while an infinite geometric series may or may not have a finite sum depending on the value of the common ratio.

How can geometric series be used in real life?

Geometric series can be used to model growth or decay over time, such as in compound interest calculations or population growth. They can also be used in probability and statistics to calculate the probabilities of certain events occurring.