Calc II Tips: Revise Calc 1 & Trig Before Semester Starts

In summary, before starting calculus 2 this spring semester, it is recommended to review and have a strong understanding of u-substitution integrals and arctrig functions from calculus 1. It is also important to have a solid grasp of basic trigonometry, as any gaps in knowledge may make it difficult to catch up during the semester. It is advised to cover any missed trigonometry topics from calculus 1 before starting calculus 2.
Red October
Hey there, I will be taking calculus 2 this spring semester and I would like to know what topics from calc 1 I should be reviewing, I did receive a B+. I am also aware that trig is highly involved and my trig skills are not that good, so if there's anything from trig that is mandatory to review I would highly appreciate it. Thanks for all your support.

Physics news on Phys.org
Be able to do every u sub integral from calc 1 in your head. Know your arctrig functions and don't get behind when you get to series.

Know basic trigonometry for sure. If ANYTHING was supposed to be presented and studied about trigonometry IN Calculus 1 but was not covered, YOU COVER IT YOURSELF before starting Calculus 2. Otherwise you may become behind and might never catchup during the semester.

462chevelle said:
Be able to do every u sub integral from calc 1 in your head. Know your arctrig functions and don't get behind when you get to series.
Thanks a ton!

symbolipoint said:
Know basic trigonometry for sure. If ANYTHING was supposed to be presented and studied about trigonometry IN Calculus 1 but was not covered, YOU COVER IT YOURSELF before starting Calculus 2. Otherwise you may become behind and might never catchup during the semester.
Thank you! Will try to do my best.

1. What is the purpose of revising Calc 1 and Trig before starting Calc II?

Revising Calc 1 and Trig before starting Calc II is important because Calc II builds upon the concepts and skills learned in these previous courses. It is essential to have a strong foundation in these subjects in order to succeed in Calc II.

2. How can I effectively revise Calc 1 and Trig?

Effective revision of Calc 1 and Trig can be done by reviewing old notes and assignments, practicing problems from previous exams, and working through textbook exercises. It is also helpful to seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions if available.

3. What are some common topics covered in Calc II that require a strong understanding of Calc 1 and Trig?

Some common topics in Calc II that require a strong understanding of Calc 1 and Trig include derivatives and integrals of trigonometric functions, polar coordinates, and series and sequences. It is important to have a solid understanding of these concepts in order to apply them effectively in Calc II.

4. Are there any online resources or tools that can aid in revising Calc 1 and Trig?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for revising Calc 1 and Trig. Some examples include Khan Academy, Wolfram Alpha, and instructional videos on YouTube. These resources can provide additional practice problems and explanations to help reinforce concepts.

5. What are some other tips for preparing for Calc II?

In addition to revising Calc 1 and Trig, some other helpful tips for preparing for Calc II include staying organized, attending lectures and taking thorough notes, practicing problems regularly, and seeking help when needed. It is also important to manage your time effectively and not wait until the last minute to study for exams.