1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus of Var, Euclidean geodesic

1. Jul 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the geodesic for euclidean polar coordinates given ds[itex]^{2}[/itex]=dr[itex]^{2}[/itex]+r[itex]^{2}[/itex]dθ[itex]^{2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    standard euler-lagrange equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to reduce the euler-lagrange equation to [itex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dθ^{2}}[/itex]-rλ=0 where λ=[itex]\sqrt{(\frac{dr}{dθ})^{2}+r^{2}}[/itex] is the Lagrangian itself (namely the linear element)

My main concern is that I have the correct differential equation, I'm curious because I can't possibly imagine how this author expects me to solve that if it is indeed the correct DE for the lagrangian.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2
    Were you asked to solve it? Most geodesic equations cannot be solved analytically and require numerical analysis.

4. Jul 13, 2012 #3
    I would think it would be easy to solve because it is obviously a straight line, that's why I think I have done something wrong to get this non-linear second order DE.

5. Jul 13, 2012 #4
    I do not necessarily think it would be easy. Given an arbitrary straight line that does not cross through the origin, how would you write this in polar coordinates? It is actually a very difficult thing to do.

6. Jul 13, 2012 #5
    so does that mean I have the correct DE? i'm not too worried about actually solving it, just that I have the right one and applied the E-L equations correctly to this problem

7. Jul 13, 2012 #6
    I haven't had to do this stuff in a long time, but I computed my geodesic equations to be

[tex]\frac{d^2 r}{dt^2} - r \left( \frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2 = 0, \qquad r^2 \frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} + 2r \frac{dr}{dt} \frac{d\theta}{dt} = 0 [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook