1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus of Variations (Geodesics on a Cone)

1. Aug 27, 2015 #1

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the geodesics on the cone whose equation in cylindrical-polar coordinates is z = λρ [Let the required curve have the form φ=φ(ρ)] check your result for the case λ→0

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} - \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] ds^{2} = d\rho^{2} + \rho d\theta^{2} + dz^{2} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The integral of ds gives the length of a curve, a geodesic is a curve with the shortest length between two points on a curved surface. So the Euler Equation is necessary.
    [itex] s = \int_{a}^{b} \sqrt{d\rho^{2} + \rho d\theta{2} + dz^{2} } = \int_{a}^{b} \sqrt{1 + \rho \theta ^{'2} + z^{'2}} d\rho [/itex], I have an equation for z so z' is easy to find, it's just λ. [itex] \int_a^b \sqrt{1 + \rho \theta^{'2} + \lambda^{2} } d\rho [/itex].

From here I just used the Euler-Equation, noting that the lack of a θ means that ∂F/∂θ' = constant by the Euler-Equation, so [itex]\frac{\rho \theta ^{'}}{\sqrt{1+\rho \theta^{'2} + \lambda^{2}}} = C [/itex], some algebra gets me to [itex] \theta^{'} = \sqrt{\frac{C+C\lambda^{2}}{\rho^{2}(\rho^{2} - C)}} [/itex] which integrating with respect to rho yields [itex]\theta =\int \sqrt{\frac{C(1+\lambda ^2)}{\rho ^{2}(\rho ^{2}-C})} d\rho[/itex]

I'm not sure if this is correct or not. I assume if they want me to check the result for the case λ=0, that case will look familiar to me. It doesn't.

I made a boo boo, rho is squared in the line element. I'll work it out, but I feel like I still need help.

So I fixed my mistake, and have decided [itex] \theta =\int \sqrt{\frac{C(1+\lambda ^2)}{\rho ^{2}(\rho ^{2}-C})} d\rho [/itex]. Boy is this a hard integral to do, wolfram spits out some pretty crazy stuff. Where should I start integrating this?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try letting ##\rho = \sqrt{C} \sec u## and express the integral in terms of the variable ##u##.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  4. Aug 28, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You might find it a bit easier if you leave C as you originally introduced it, so that every C in your integral becomes C2.
    A hypergeometric substitution for rho might then suggest itself.

Edit: TSny's response did not appear for me until I submitted my own, hours later. Strange. Yes, sec will work as well or better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted