Integrating Kinematics: Solving for Velocity with Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between potential and kinetic energy, as well as the use of substitution and integration to solve for velocity and distance. The speaker also mentions a potential error in their calculation and receives clarification on the use of variables.
PhysicsPrac
Ok here is my question:

Potential energy = mgh
Kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2
mgh = 1/2mv^2, solving for v you get v = sqrt(2gh)

Now I know v is the same as dx/dt so if I substite in dx/dt for v :

dx/dt = sqrt(2gh)

Multiply by dt:
dx = sqrt(2gh) * dt
Integrate:
x = t*sqrt(2gh)

This should be right, but for some reason it doesn't work when I check it with the well known x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2 formula, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that h is supposed to be the distance fallen? That would in fact be the same as your variable x then, not a constant

ooh I see thanks!

1. What is calculus and how is it related to physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation. It is used to solve problems in physics, which involves understanding the behavior of objects and systems in motion.

2. How is calculus used in physics?

Calculus is used in physics to analyze and describe the motion of objects and systems. It helps us understand concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and force, and enables us to make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

3. What are the main applications of calculus in physics?

Calculus has many applications in physics, including kinematics (study of motion), dynamics (study of forces), electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as fluid mechanics and optics.

4. Can you give an example of how calculus is used in physics?

One example of how calculus is used in physics is in the study of projectile motion. By using calculus, we can determine the trajectory of a projectile, its velocity and acceleration at any given point, and the time it takes to reach a certain distance.

5. Is calculus necessary for understanding physics?

While it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of calculus to understand basic principles of physics, it is an essential tool for solving more complex problems and making accurate predictions. Many fundamental concepts in physics, such as derivatives and integrals, are based on calculus.