Calculus Questions with Vectors (cross product)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the net torque about point O at point P, with a 30-kg mass attached at P. The force of gravity on the mass is given as 9.8m m/s2 in the downward direction. The net torque can be calculated using the formula τ = r × F, where r is the position vector and F is the force. After some calculations, the result is approximately 204.79k. However, it is suggested to also consider the force of gravity on the arm itself in order to account for the mass trying to rotate the arm.
advityakhanna

Homework Statement

Calculate the net torque about O at P,assuming that a 30-kg mass is attached at P [Figure 21(B)]. The force Fg due to gravity on a mass m has magnitude 9.8m m/s2 in the downward direction.

Homework Equations

The torque about the origin O due to a force F act- ing on an object with position vector r is the vector quantity τ = r × F. If several forces Fj act at positions rj , then the net torque (units: N-m or lb-ft) is the summation of r cross product F.

The Attempt at a Solution

Have solution for no mass hanging that is: r=OP =10(cosθi+sinθj) The angle between the force vector F and the x-axis is (θ + 125◦), hence, F = 25 (cos (θ + 125◦) i + sin (θ + 125) j)
The torque τ about O acting at the point P is the cross product τ = r × F. We compute it using the cross products of the
unit vectors i and j:
τ =r×F=10(cosθi+sinθj)×25((cosθ+125◦)i+sin(θ+125◦))j = 250 (cos θ i + sin θ j) × ((cos θ + 125◦) i + (sin θ + 125◦) j)= 250 (cos θ sin (θ + 125◦) k + sin θ cos (θ + 125◦) (−k))
= 250(sin(θ +125◦)cosθ −sinθ cos(θ +125◦))k
We now use the identity sin α cos β − sin β cos α = sin(α − β) to obtain
τ = 250sin(θ +125◦ −θ)k = 250sin125◦k ≈ 204.79k

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 11.26.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 11.26.07 PM.png
    3 KB · Views: 1,398
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's really hard to follow your calculations because you have a LOT of these question mark thingies in the OP.

The method looks good but wouldn't you want the force to be:

25 (cos (θ + 125◦) i + sin (θ + 125) j)- (30*g) j

The added term would account for the mass trying to rotate the arm itself.

Or is the 25 N force the net force on the mass (I thought it was an external force in addition to that of gravity)?

1. What is the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

2. How do you find the direction of the cross product vector?

The direction of the cross product vector can be determined using the right hand rule. Point your right hand in the direction of the first vector, then curl your fingers towards the second vector. The direction your thumb is pointing is the direction of the cross product vector.

3. What is the difference between dot product and cross product?

The dot product of two vectors produces a scalar quantity, while the cross product produces a vector quantity. Additionally, the dot product measures the extent to which two vectors are parallel, while the cross product measures the extent to which they are perpendicular.

4. How is the cross product used in physics?

The cross product is used in physics to calculate the torque on an object, which is the rotational force applied to an object. It is also used in calculating the magnetic force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

5. Can the cross product be used in higher dimensions?

The cross product is only defined for vectors in three-dimensional space. In higher dimensions, a similar operation called the wedge product can be used, but it is not as commonly used as the cross product.