1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Questions with Vectors (cross product)

1. Aug 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the net torque about O at P,assuming that a 30-kg mass is attached at P [Figure 21(B)]. The force Fg due to gravity on a mass m has magnitude 9.8m m/s2 in the downward direction.

2. Relevant equations

The torque about the origin O due to a force F act- ing on an object with position vector r is the vector quantity τ = r × F. If several forces Fj act at positions rj , then the net torque (units: N-m or lb-ft) is the summation of r cross product F.

3. The attempt at a solution

Have solution for no mass hanging that is: r=OP =10(cosθi+sinθj) The angle between the force vector F and the x-axis is (θ + 125◦), hence, F = 25 (cos (θ + 125◦) i + sin (θ + 125) j)
    The torque τ about O acting at the point P is the cross product τ = r × F. We compute it using the cross products of the
    unit vectors i and j:
    τ =r×F=10(cosθi+sinθj)×25((cosθ+125◦)i+sin(θ+125◦))j = 250 (cos θ i + sin θ j) × ((cos θ + 125◦) i + (sin θ + 125◦) j)= 250 (cos θ sin (θ + 125◦) k + sin θ cos (θ + 125◦) (−k))
    = 250(sin(θ +125◦)cosθ −sinθ cos(θ +125◦))k
    We now use the identity sin α cos β − sin β cos α = sin(α − β) to obtain
    τ = 250sin(θ +125◦ −θ)k = 250sin125◦k ≈ 204.79k

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's really hard to follow your calculations because you have a LOT of these question mark thingies in the OP.

4. Aug 31, 2013 #3
    The method looks good but wouldn't you want the force to be:

25 (cos (θ + 125◦) i + sin (θ + 125) j)- (30*g) j

The added term would account for the mass trying to rotate the arm itself.

Or is the 25 N force the net force on the mass (I thought it was an external force in addition to that of gravity)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted