Multivariable Calculus, Parameterization Question

In summary, the order of the variables in the parameterization of a 3D surface does not affect the resulting cross product. However, the cross product will determine the orientation of the surface and may require compensation using negative signs to get the desired orientation. This can be determined by using the right hand rule or checking for agreement with the given orientation.
Airodonack
Hello everybody!

My question has to do with the parameterization of 3D surfaces from 3 variables to 2. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out an aspect of the cross product of the directional derivatives of the parameterization to solve flux integrals. Trying to convert:
∫∫SF dS = ∫∫DF(r(u,v)) (ru x rv) du dv

I hope that this is clear.

Homework Statement

What is the difference between r(R, theta) and r(theta, R), and its effects on the cross product:
rR X rθ

Suppose you have a circle on the x-y plane with:
X = R * cos(θ)
Y = R * sin(θ)
Z = 0

Where 0 ≤ R ≤ 1, 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π

Now, this can be written as r(R, theta) or r(theta, R), but then does r still end up being the same?:
X = R * cos(θ)
Y = R * sin(θ)
Z = 0

I know that:
rR X rθ = - rθ X rR

This cross product determines the orientation of the surface, so this is important to understand.2. Relevant questions

How do you determine which variable gets to be the radius and which gets to be the angle?
How do you determine which directional derivative gets to go first in the cross product?
This is especially relevant when the variables that I'm converting to are U and V instead of something polar.3. The attempt at an explanation

My guess would be that it would be something to do with the right-hand rule, where angles always go CCW. But then this is not easy to visualize, nor is it a really good explanation.

EDITED: Not magnitude of cross product.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Airodonack said:
Hello everybody!

My question has to do with the parameterization of 3D surfaces from 3 variables to 2. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out an aspect of the cross product of the directional derivatives of the parameterization to solve flux integrals. Trying to convert:
∫∫SF dS = ∫∫DF(r(u,v)) (ru x rv) du dv

I hope that this is clear.

Homework Statement

What is the difference between r(R, theta) and r(theta, R), and its effects on the cross product:
rR X rθ

Suppose you have a circle on the x-y plane with:
X = R * cos(θ)
Y = R * sin(θ)
Z = 0

Where 0 ≤ R ≤ 1, 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π

Now, this can be written as r(R, theta) or r(theta, R), but then does r still end up being the same?:
X = R * cos(θ)
Y = R * sin(θ)
Z = 0

I know that:
rR X rθ = - rθ X rR

This cross product determines the orientation of the surface, so this is important to understand.

2. Relevant questions

How do you determine which variable gets to be the radius and which gets to be the angle?
How do you determine which directional derivative gets to go first in the cross product?
This is especially relevant when the variables that I'm converting to are U and V instead of something polar.

3. The attempt at an explanation

My guess would be that it would be something to do with the right-hand rule, where angles always go CCW. But then this is not easy to visualize, nor is it a really good explanation.

EDITED: Not magnitude of cross product.

Good question, and a lot of texts aren't clear on that. You may not know whether to take ##r_u \times r_v## or the other way around. Just do one or the other. Then check to see whether it agrees with the given orientation, using the right hand rule or some other way. Most texts don't write Stokes' theorem as$$
\oint_C \vec F\cdot d\vec R = \iint_{S} \nabla \times \vec F \cdot d\vec S
=\pm \iint_{u,v} \nabla \times \vec F \cdot \vec R_u\times \vec R_v\, dudv$$where the sign is chosen to agree with the orientation, but they should. After you do the cross product you must check which sign to use. Sometimes you can tell by looking at one of the components of the cross product. For example if the surface is oriented upward, you could just check the z component. Or if it comes from a Stokes theorem problem, make sure it agrees with the orientation of the curve as given by the right hand rule.

Ohhhhh, thank you! It seems obvious now, but the order I do the cross product is just another way to manipulate the orientation of the surface.

To sum up, the order of r(R,θ) and r(θ,R) do not matter. But the cross product will give me an orientation that will point one direction and I have to compensate using negative signs to get the orientation I want.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus to functions that depend on two or more independent variables.

2. What is parameterization in calculus?

Parameterization is a way of representing a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters. In multivariable calculus, this involves expressing a curve or surface in terms of other variables, such as time or distance.

3. Why is parameterization important in multivariable calculus?

Parameterization allows us to simplify complex functions and equations by representing them in a more manageable form. It also allows us to calculate important properties of curves and surfaces, such as length, area, and volume.

4. How do you perform parameterization in multivariable calculus?

To perform parameterization in multivariable calculus, you typically start by identifying the independent variables and choosing appropriate parameters to represent them. Then, you use these parameters to express the dependent variables in terms of the independent ones.

5. What are some real-life applications of parameterization in multivariable calculus?

Parameterization has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the motion of objects, calculate the surface area of complex shapes, and optimize production processes in industries.