What is the integral for finding the volume of a rectangular pool?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of water in a rectangular pool with given dimensions and a varying depth. The solution involves using a definite integral and multiplying it by the length of the pool to find the total volume. Other suggestions for solving the problem are also mentioned.
calculusisfun

Homework Statement

A pool in the shape of a rectangle is ten (10) m wide and twenty five (25) m long. The depth of the pool water x meters from the shallow part/end of the pool is 1 + (x^2)/175 meters.

Write a definite integral that yields the volume of water in the rectangular pool exactly. And then evaluate this integral.

2. The attempt at a solution

So, to find one section's volume I take the following integral: [PLAIN]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5991/calc1.png

So, that gives me one of the 25 foot long section's volumes. Thus, I multiply that integral by ten to yield the following: [PLAIN]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1236/calc2.png

I'm not sure if I interpreted the question the right way. Any explanations/help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think this is the correct way of doing it.

Well, that's good to hear. Any additional input? :)

Well, if you've seen multiple integrals. Then maybe you can also try to solve it with them. That would be a nice exercise :smile:

Thanks, any additional input from anyone?

1. What is a "Calculus Volume Word Problem"?

A "Calculus Volume Word Problem" is a type of problem that involves using calculus principles to find the volume of a three-dimensional object. These types of problems typically involve real-world scenarios, such as finding the volume of a water tank or the amount of material needed to fill a container.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving a "Calculus Volume Word Problem"?

The key concepts involved in solving a "Calculus Volume Word Problem" include understanding the definition of volume, knowing how to set up and solve integrals, and being able to apply the appropriate formulas for finding the volume of various shapes, such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

3. How do I approach solving a "Calculus Volume Word Problem"?

The best approach to solving a "Calculus Volume Word Problem" is to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the relevant information, and then use calculus principles to set up and solve the necessary equations. It is also helpful to draw a diagram of the object in question to better visualize the problem.

4. Can you provide an example of a "Calculus Volume Word Problem" and its solution?

Sure, here is an example: A cylindrical water tank has a radius of 5 feet and a height of 10 feet. If the tank is filled with water to a height of 8 feet, what is the volume of water in the tank? To solve this, we can use the formula for the volume of a cylinder, V = πr^2h, with r = 5 and h = 8. Plugging in these values, we get V = π(5)^2(8) = 200π cubic feet.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a "Calculus Volume Word Problem"?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to convert units. Make sure all measurements are in the same units before plugging them into any equations. Additionally, double-check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem. It is also important to pay attention to any given constraints, such as a maximum or minimum volume, and make sure your solution falls within those constraints.