Calculus vs. algebra based phyics 2 (electricity and magnetism)

In summary, the individual is a biochemistry major and needs to take introductory physics courses as a prerequisite for physical chemistry. They had originally planned to take the regular pchem series, which requires calculus based physics, but due to changes in their university's curriculum, they now need to take pchem for biochemists, which only requires algebra based physics. This leaves them with the decision to continue with calculus based physics for electricity and magnetism or take the algebra based one. They are seeking advice on the differences between the two classes, particularly for someone who is not strong in physics. From their experience, the calculus in intro E&M is not too difficult and mainly involves understanding concepts such as flux, while the algebra based class for E&M was
ddkk
I am a biochemistry major and I need to take the first two introductory physics courses as a prerequisite to physical chemistry. I can take regular pchem, which requires calculus based physics or pchem for biochemists, which only requires the algebra based physics. With the way my university teaches pchem and in order for me to graduate on time, I planned to take the regular pchem series so I am currently taking the calculus based physics 1 (mechanics). Well, my school decided to change things around so now in order to graduate on time, I need to take pchem for biochemists. This leaves me with the decision to continue with calculus based physics for electricity and magnetism or take the algebra based one.

I have already taken calculus III but must admit I didn't understand the last chapter too much (flux, Greene's theorem, etc). Are things like those used a lot in physics II?

Basically, I am looking for some advice on the differences between the calculus and algebra based classes for someone who is not the best at physics. If it is strictly the difference in math, I believe I would have no problem with things like integrals and derivatives. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I took intro E&M, there wasn't really that much calculus. Yes you have to understand flux, but the integrals are not that difficult. The applications are usually simple geometric figures such as spheres, cylinders, planes, etc. You should be fine.

Well the algebra based EM class was a lot harder than the mechanics, I can say that much lol.

1. What is the main difference between calculus-based physics 2 and algebra-based physics 2?

The main difference between calculus-based physics 2 and algebra-based physics 2 is the use of mathematical tools. Calculus-based physics 2 involves the use of calculus, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation of quantities. Algebra-based physics 2, on the other hand, uses algebraic equations to solve problems.

2. Which course is more difficult, calculus-based physics 2 or algebra-based physics 2?

This is a subjective question as difficulty level can vary for each individual. However, in general, calculus-based physics 2 is considered more challenging because it requires a solid understanding of calculus concepts and their application to physics problems.

3. Who should take calculus-based physics 2 and who should take algebra-based physics 2?

Calculus-based physics 2 is typically taken by students majoring in physics, engineering, or other science-related fields. It is also recommended for students who plan to pursue graduate studies in these fields. Algebra-based physics 2 is usually taken by students majoring in non-science fields or those who do not have a strong background in calculus.

4. Can I switch from calculus-based physics 2 to algebra-based physics 2?

It is possible to switch from calculus-based physics 2 to algebra-based physics 2, but it is not recommended. This is because calculus-based physics 2 covers more advanced topics and switching to algebra-based physics 2 may result in knowledge gaps and difficulties in understanding certain concepts.

5. Which course is more relevant for real-world applications?

Both courses have real-world applications and are important in different fields. Calculus-based physics 2 is more relevant for fields such as engineering, physics, and other sciences that require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their application to real-world problems. Algebra-based physics 2 is more relevant for fields such as medicine, architecture, and other non-science related fields where a basic understanding of physics principles is needed.