1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Word Problem - Thermodynamics

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Consider an object at temperature θ in an a place which temperature is Ta. The rate of change of the temperature is given as: dθ/dt = 10(Ta − θ(t)). If the room temperature is constant at Ta=20,and the initial temperature of the object is θ(0) = 100. When will the object reach temperatures of 60,40 and 30?

Attempt:

Integrating both sides of equation dθ/dt = 10(Ta − θ(t)) , but i am struggling with that. I am not sure if it is θ = 10 * Ta * t - 5 θˆ2

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    The given equation is,

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt} = 10(Ta − θ(t))[/tex]

Where θ(t) presumably denotes the temperature at a given time t. Dividing both the equations by [itex](Ta − θ(t)[/itex] you will have,

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{(Ta − θ)} = 10dt[/tex]

This you can integrate to find the relation between time and temperature.

4. Jun 26, 2012 #3
    Thanks! Integrating this do i get -log(Ta-θ) = 10 * t ?

5. Jun 26, 2012 #4
    Yes! :smile:

You can also think about integrating,

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{\theta - Ta} = -10dt[/tex]

Because it turns out easier to evaluate.

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5
    You left out the constant of integration. You need to use the initial condition θ =100 at t = 0.

7. Jun 27, 2012 #6
    Thanks! Yes I realized i was missing something, but I finally got it right. Thanks everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook