Calling All Angels: Questions on Gold, Buoyancy & More

• Thread starter holly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angels
In summary, there is a possibility of faking the density of a pure element by drilling a small cylinder and filling it with other materials, but it would have to have the exact same density as the pure element. The buoyancy force when an object is sitting on the bottom of a lake or ocean depends on the shape of the object, but it can be greater or less than the gravitational force depending on the circumstances. It is also mentioned that there is a thread on a physics forum discussing a similar puzzler.
holly
Okay, let me solidify something. I have thought on this until I am dizzy.

Is it true that you just can't fake the density of a pure element? That if, for example, you have a 10 gram piece of what is supposed to be gold, pure gold, in a cube shape, could you not secretly adulterate it? Could not a person take a drill, drill a little cylinder in the cube, place other base materials in it to exactly equal the weight, if not the density, of what was removed, seal the top of the little cylinder made when it was drilled with a thin sheet of gold (under a vacuum), and then have it fulfill the correct displacement for pure gold? I must be missing something, something vital...

And finally, one last buoyancy remark, and I'm DONE with that evil subject: When an object is sitting on the BOTTOM of a lake or ocean, and it is firmly sitting there, sunk in the mud, would not the upward buoyancy, at that point, be zero? And finally, the downward force would be greater than the upward one?

Thanking you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, D = m/V. Now if you have the same m and the same V...

The buoyant force isn't zero, but it's certainly less than the gravitational force. Once it hits the bottom, the ground has an upward force equal to the sum of the buoyant and gravitational forces, so the total force on the object is zero (or else it'd magically float up or magically fall through the earth!).

cookiemonster

Oh cookiemonster, I knew you'd help me! Well, I hoped, anyway!

But then how did Archimedes know the crown was really gold? I guess it will be a mystery if it really was or if it wasn't. Wish I had me a time machine to go back and see.

Thank you, I will now also lay Buoyancy to rest in Davy Jones' Locker.

Well, you'd have to find something with exactly the same density as gold. I'm no analytical chemist (I don't much care for chemistry in general, for that matter), so I don't know if there's something like that, but...

cookiemonster

Concerning that buoyancy issue, I think what holly meant was what if the object is completely smooth and pinned to the bottom so that no water (or anything else) comes between the object and the bottom. If this is the case then there would be no upward buoyancy force. The water pressure will push it downward.

That's true, but that's an awfully harsh restriction on the shape of an object. It is a good point to make, though, that there must be an underside, and that that underside must have a certain amount of area relative to the top (which depends on the depth of the object), of the object exposed to water in order for there to be an upward buoyant force.

cookiemonster

Originally posted by holly
And finally, one last buoyancy remark, and I'm DONE with that evil subject: When an object is sitting on the BOTTOM of a lake or ocean, and it is firmly sitting there, sunk in the mud, would not the upward buoyancy, at that point, be zero? And finally, the downward force would be greater than the upward one?
It depends on the shape of the object. Just for fun, let's take a sealed box-shaped obect and stick it firmly into the mud at the bottom of the lake. The box is upright (not tilted).

The bouyant force is the net force due to the water pressure on all sides. Since it's stuck firmly into the mud, it will be the downward pressure that will exert the bouyant force. (The forces on the sides cancel; the bottom is not touching water, so no water pressure there.) So, in this case, the bouyant force actually acts downward.

The forces on the object are these:
- bouyant force pushing down (agent = water)
- weight pulling down (agent = the entire earth)
- normal force pushing up (agent = surface of earth/mud)

These forces are in equilibrium.

For your amusement, check out this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11531&highlight=puzzler

What is the purpose of "Calling All Angels: Questions on Gold, Buoyancy & More"?

The purpose of "Calling All Angels: Questions on Gold, Buoyancy & More" is to educate and inform readers about the properties and uses of gold, as well as how it interacts with buoyancy and other scientific principles.

What is gold and how is it formed?

Gold is a chemical element with the symbol Au and atomic number 79. It is a dense, soft, and malleable metal that is prized for its luster and resistance to corrosion. Gold is formed through a process called nucleosynthesis, where heavy elements are created through nuclear reactions in the cores of stars.

How does gold interact with buoyancy?

Gold is a very dense metal, meaning it has a high mass per unit volume. This density causes gold to sink in water, as it is more dense than the water. However, gold's density also makes it a good material for floating objects, such as gold coins or jewelry, as long as the object is shaped in a way that allows it to displace enough water to offset its weight.

What are the uses of gold in science and technology?

Gold has many practical uses in science and technology. It is a highly conductive metal, making it valuable for use in electronics and electrical wiring. It is also used in dentistry, as it is biocompatible and does not react with the body's tissues. Gold is also used in various medical treatments, such as treating rheumatoid arthritis and certain types of cancer.

Why is gold valuable and sought after?

Gold has been highly valued throughout history due to its rarity, durability, and aesthetic beauty. It has been used as a form of currency and a symbol of wealth and prestige. Today, gold is still highly sought after for its practical and aesthetic uses, as well as its role as a hedge against inflation and economic instability.