Camera Translations: Find Translation & Rotation

• Thread starter _Nate_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the conversation discusses creating a function for a physics game engine that allows the camera to move effortlessly to specific locations using three vectors. The conversation also mentions the use of rotations in space to achieve this and suggests looking at a rotation matrix for help.
_Nate_
I'm making a physics game engine, and I have some decent camera functionality.

Essentially, the camera has a translation (vector) and a rotation (quaternion), and functions exist to easily move the camera along any of seven degrees of freedom (pitch, yaw, roll, strafe, elevate, move, zoom), which all works nicely.

I would like to make a function that allows the camera to go wherever you specify with ease. Essentially, it would work like gulLookAt: you would give the function a camera and three vectors. The first is where the camera should be, the second is where the camera should look, and the third is the up vector.

Given these three vectors, how can I determine the translation (vector) and rotation (quaternion) of my camera? I don't know the math to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The beginning of every problem is to structure it, and convert it into something computable. Choose a Cartesian coordinate system with the camera at the origin. Then determine what you have (current look etc.) and what you want to achieve. If it is only a transformation in space, then you can use a series of rotations in space. It will be difficult without math, so just look at the corresponding Wikipedia article (rotation matrix) and see if it helps you.

1. What is camera translation and rotation?

Camera translation and rotation is the process of analyzing images or videos captured by a camera and determining the exact location and orientation of the camera in 3D space.

2. How does camera translation and rotation work?

This process involves using advanced algorithms and computer vision techniques to identify and match key points in the captured images or videos. By comparing the positions of these points, the translation and rotation of the camera can be calculated.

3. What is the purpose of camera translation and rotation?

The main purpose of camera translation and rotation is to enable augmented reality applications, visual effects, and other computer vision tasks that require precise knowledge of the camera's position and orientation.

4. What are some real-world applications of camera translation and rotation?

Camera translation and rotation is used in a variety of industries, including entertainment (e.g. special effects in movies), gaming (e.g. virtual reality), navigation (e.g. GPS tracking), and industrial automation (e.g. object detection and tracking).

5. Is camera translation and rotation a difficult process?

The complexity of camera translation and rotation depends on the specific application and the accuracy required. While the underlying algorithms and techniques can be complex, there are now many tools and libraries available that make it easier to implement.