Can a Carbon Dioxide Vent on a Mars Rover Solve Dust Buildup on Solar Panels?

In summary: However, this would add significant weight and complexity to the design, and may not be worth the investment.
roineust
i'v googled the subject and it seems like a serious problem, e.g. the dust accumulating on the solar panels, there has even been a term coined 'cleaning event' for Mars winds, as if this is a matter of luck to get the solar panels cleaned. A small carbon-dioxide vent on the tip of the rover robotic arm? da? Would it be such a weight increase, for resolving such a dramatic problem? OK, these are much smarter people than me..what am i missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
roineust said:
A small carbon-dioxide vent on the tip of the rover robotic arm
What's the vent supposed to be doing, exactly?

Likes roineust
Jump to 3:45

Do you mean to say 'a mechanical fan pushing Martian atmosphere around to blow off the dust'?

Likes roineust
Yes, fan carried by the rover's robotic arm, pushing atmosphere selectively at an angle and force that takes the dust off the panels, without hitting the surface dust.

Then consider the availability of the working medium for the fan. The density of air is 1/60 of that on Earth. You'd need some really high-performance (large and heavy + energy consuming) device to have any hope of blowing anything off the panels.

Likes roineust
Pressurizing into a small bottle and then releasing? Maybe a slower process than using Earth air, but still hours if not minutes duration, not so? Would it add so much to the overall weight, if compression will be used and not a fan?

Last edited:
In the case of a pressurised supply of gas (or e.g. mechanical wipers), my guess would be it just doesn't warrant the extra weight and complexity, where you can instead just add some extra panels for the same weight, and get a similar, but more reliable (due to simplicity), power performance extension.

Likes roineust
Yes, although i speculate that such a system could be developed to weight under 500 grams and would not be the most complex system on board such a rover, which weighs 180 kg in the case of Opportunity and 900 kg for the Curiosity. It is most likely that such a system and many other alternatives for cleaning the solar panels, were considered and rejected for the Opportunity.
Apparently the dust problem was among the reasons they did not use solar panels, on board the Curiosity (not even as a backup system?): https://www.technologyreview.com/s/428751/nuclear-generator-powers-curiosity-mars-mission/

Last edited:
I've heard they went over the engineering process for MER in Roving Mars (the book), including considerations of panel cleaning. It might be of interest to you.

Likes berkeman and roineust
Thanks, i'll look into it.

Nice idea.

Likes roineust

What is the purpose of solar panels on Mars rovers?

The solar panels on Mars rovers are used to convert sunlight into electricity to power the rover's instruments and systems. This allows the rover to operate and collect data for extended periods of time without the need for frequent battery replacements.

How do the solar panels on Mars rovers get covered in dust?

The Martian atmosphere is very dusty, and strong winds can stir up dust storms on the surface. This dust can settle on the solar panels, reducing their efficiency and potentially hindering the rover's ability to function properly.

What are the challenges of dealing with dust on Mars rover solar panels?

The main challenge is maintaining the efficiency of the solar panels. As dust accumulates, it reduces the amount of sunlight that can be converted into electricity, which can impact the rover's operations. Additionally, dust can also block the rover's cameras and other instruments, making it difficult to collect data.

How do scientists and engineers mitigate the effects of dust on Mars rover solar panels?

One method is to use a dust-removal system, such as brushes or compressed air, to clean the solar panels. Another approach is to tilt the solar panels at an angle to allow dust to slide off. Additionally, some rovers have been equipped with self-cleaning surfaces or coatings that repel dust.

What are the potential risks of dust accumulation on Mars rover solar panels?

If the solar panels become too covered in dust, they may not be able to generate enough electricity to power the rover's systems, potentially leading to a loss of communication and the end of the mission. Dust can also cause overheating of the rover's electronics, which can permanently damage them.