Can a discontinuous function have a uniformly convergent Fourier series?

In summary: But if the sequence of derivatives does not converge uniformly, then ##f## may not be differentiable. In that case, we say that ##f## is only differentiable in the weak sense. This is indeed the case for Fourier series of (some) functions that are only pointwise differentiable. However, for most common functions, the Fourier series converges uniformly and is thus differentiable in the strong sense.In summary, the Fourier series of a function can be differentiated term by term as long as the series is uniformly convergent. However, for functions that are only pointwise differentiable, the Fourier series may only converge in the weak sense and may not be differentiable.
etf
Let's say I have Fourier series of some function, [tex]f(t)[/tex], [tex]f(t)=\frac{a0}{2}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(an\cos{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}}+bn\sin{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}})[/tex], where [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are lower and upper boundary of function, [tex]a0=\frac{2}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(t)dt[/tex], [tex]an=\frac{2}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(t)cos\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}dt[/tex], bn=[tex]\frac{2}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}f(t)sin\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}dt[/tex]. My question is, can I find derivative of Fourier series on this way:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(an\cos{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}}+bn\sin{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}})=\frac{d}{dt}(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}an\cos{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}bn\sin{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}})=[/tex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{d}{dt}(an\cos{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}})+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{d}{dt}(bn\sin{\frac{2n\pi t}{b-a}})[/tex]
?
Are there some limitations when I can do this and when I can't do this?
PS. I had to write this in second message since for some reason my latex code can't fit in one message :)

I think I know what you meant - your equation is an identity (I don't think you meant it). I presume your question is can you differentiate term by term to get the derivative of a Fourier series. The answer is no different from the same question for any infinite series.

Google the question and you will get plenty of answers.

Likes etf
As long as a sum of functions is uniformly convergent, then you can differentiate the sum "term by term". Fourier series (and Taylor's series) are always uniformly convergent.

Likes etf
HallsofIvy said:
Fourier series (and Taylor's series) are always uniformly convergent.

I think the Fourier series of a discontinuous function is only pointwise convergent, not uniformly convergent.

The_Duck said:
I think the Fourier series of a discontinuous function is only pointwise convergent, not uniformly convergent.
Indeed, the partial sums of a Fourier series are continuous, and the uniform limit of a sequence of continuous functions is continuous. So no discontinuous function can have a uniformly convergent Fourier series.

Moreover, uniform convergence of a sequence of differentiable functions ##f_n## to some function ##f## is not sufficient to ensure that ##f## is differentiable. If the sequence of derivatives ##f_n'## converges uniformly, then it is sufficient, and ##\lim f_n' = f'##.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of the derivative of a Fourier series?

The derivative of a Fourier series is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a function represented by a Fourier series. It is an important tool in signal processing and helps to analyze the behavior of a signal over time.

2. How is the derivative of a Fourier series calculated?

The derivative of a Fourier series is calculated by differentiating each term in the series. This can be done using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and the chain rule. The resulting derivative series is then summed to obtain the final derivative of the original function.

3. Can the derivative of a Fourier series be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function?

Yes, the derivative of a Fourier series can be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function. This is because the derivative represents the slope of the function at a given point, and the maximum and minimum values occur when the slope is equal to zero.

4. What is the relationship between the derivative of a Fourier series and the original function?

The derivative of a Fourier series represents the instantaneous rate of change of the original function at a particular point. This means that it gives information about how the function is changing at that point, which can be used to analyze its behavior over time.

5. Are there any applications of the derivative of a Fourier series in real-life scenarios?

Yes, the derivative of a Fourier series has various applications in real-life scenarios. It is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other fields to analyze and model signals and their behavior over time. It is also used in image and sound processing, where signals are represented by Fourier series.