Can a Driven Oscillator Mechanism Enhance a Double Pendulum Hammer's Swing?

In summary, a driven oscillator mechanism is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring and driven by an external force, resulting in oscillations with a specific frequency and amplitude. The behavior of this system is influenced by factors such as the frequency and amplitude of the external force, the stiffness of the spring, and the mass of the object. The amplitude of a driven oscillator changes with different driving frequencies, with maximum amplitude achieved at resonance. This differs from a damped oscillator, which loses energy over time due to friction or dissipative forces. Driven oscillator mechanisms have various applications in science and technology, allowing for the optimization and control of their performance in mechanical structures, electronic circuits, and musical instruments.
Matos de Mato
The driven oscillator mechanism explains the swing of a child that drives it up higher.
I am using the same mechanism with a double pendulum hammer.
The hammer will increase its amplitude, and if so we have to stop it at its high point preventing it from flipping over.
If we use a spring, it will accelerate the hammer back, increasing the angular velocity.
I am proposing a combination of spring and load.
I have a video at:

http://thermoenergetics.blogspot.com/
I have friends simulating the device on Phun.
The lock mechanism is importante and they are doing their best.
Any help to have a computer simulation is welcome.
Your comments and discussion is important.
Thank you
David

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello David,

Thank you for sharing your interesting idea and video. The driven oscillator mechanism is indeed a very useful concept in explaining the motion of objects, including the swing of a child and the motion of a double pendulum hammer.

In your proposed combination of a spring and load, it seems that you are using the spring to provide the restoring force and the load to add mass to the system. This can indeed help increase the amplitude of the hammer's motion and prevent it from flipping over.

As for the lock mechanism, it is crucial in ensuring the safety and stability of the system. I would suggest exploring different designs and materials for the lock to find the most effective one for your device.

Having a computer simulation can definitely help in understanding and improving the design of your device. I would recommend using a physics simulation software such as Phun or Algodoo to create a virtual model of your device and test its motion under different conditions.

Overall, your idea and project are very interesting and I look forward to seeing its progress. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to reach out for any further discussions or assistance. Best of luck!

Related to Can a Driven Oscillator Mechanism Enhance a Double Pendulum Hammer's Swing?

What is a driven oscillator mechanism?

A driven oscillator mechanism is a physical system that involves a mass attached to a spring, which is driven by an external force. The system oscillates back and forth with a specific frequency and amplitude.

What factors affect the behavior of a driven oscillator mechanism?

The behavior of a driven oscillator mechanism is affected by the frequency and amplitude of the external force, the stiffness of the spring, and the mass of the object attached to the spring.

How does the amplitude of a driven oscillator change with different driving frequencies?

The amplitude of a driven oscillator is dependent on the frequency of the driving force. At resonance, when the frequency of the driving force matches the natural frequency of the system, the amplitude is at its maximum. At other frequencies, the amplitude decreases.

What is the difference between driven and damped oscillators?

A driven oscillator is a system that is constantly receiving energy from an external force, while a damped oscillator is losing energy due to friction or other dissipative forces. This results in a decrease in amplitude over time for a damped oscillator, while a driven oscillator can maintain a constant amplitude with the right driving frequency.

What is the importance of driven oscillator mechanisms in science and technology?

Driven oscillator mechanisms have many practical applications in science and technology, including in the design of mechanical structures, electronic circuits, and even musical instruments. Understanding the behavior of driven oscillators allows us to control and optimize their performance for various purposes.