Can a Heat Balance be Achieved with Constant Condensation Temperature?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Kqwert
Messages
160
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


If you have a heat exchanger with a cooling fluid and a fluid that condenses, and the fluid condenses over the entire heat exchanger i.e. its temperature is constant. How can one make a heat balance in such a case, when dT is 0 for the condensing fluid but not the other? i.e. (m*Cp*Dt)fluid 1 = (m*Cp*Dt)fluid 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kqwert said:

Homework Statement


If you have a heat exchanger with a cooling fluid and a fluid that condenses, and the fluid condenses over the entire heat exchanger i.e. its temperature is constant. How can one make a heat balance in such a case, when dT is 0 for the condensing fluid but not the other? i.e. (m*Cp*Dt)fluid 1 = (m*Cp*Dt)fluid 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You are aware that enthalpy changes at constant temperature for a phase change of a single component substance, correct? You've heard of the heat of vaporization/condensation, correct?
 
Chestermiller said:
You are aware that enthalpy changes at constant temperature for a phase change of a single component substance, correct? You've heard of the heat of vaporization/condensation, correct?
I wasn't aware that the enthalpy changes at constant temperature for a phase change.
 
Kqwert said:
I wasn't aware that the enthalpy changes at constant temperature for a phase change.
Are you taking thermodynamics now, or have you had it yet?
 
Chestermiller said:
Are you taking thermodynamics now, or have you had it yet?
I haven´t had it yet. We had a small brief on it in the course I am taking, but maybe I didn't pay enough attention.
 
Kqwert said:
I haven´t had it yet. We had a small brief on it in the course I am taking, but maybe I didn't pay enough attention.
Well, I'm sure you know that water boils at a constant temperature of 100C while you are adding heat.