Can a human and an ammonia-based alien coexist?

In summary: Yes, my universe does have force fields. However, I'm not sure how this would work with my story. It sounds like you would need to have a force field around the character all the time. In space, of course, there would be no atmosphere to contend with, so this would be possible.In summary, making the alien species ammonia-based has several problems. On Earth, ammonia is a liquid under cryogenic temperatures. I think -28 degree Fahrenheit is its boiling point. Obviously, this is too cold for a human to survive for very long without some kind of really, really good thermal wear or some kind of environmental suit, both of which I was hoping to avoid. The other option I have, which
HavNoFear
Writing a sci-fi story, thinking of making the alien species ammonia-based. Obviously there are problems with that. On Earth, ammonia is a liquid under cryogenic temperatures. I think -28 degree Fahrenheit is its boiling point. Obviously, this is too cold for a human to survive for very long without some kind of really, really good thermal wear or some kind of environmental suit, both of which I was hoping to avoid.

The other option I have, which would allow ammonia to be a liquid at more normal, room temperatures, is to simply increase the atmospheric pressure of the planet they're on. However, my research says that ammonia's boiling point is at 70 degrees under 128.8 psia. Normal Earth air pressure at sea level is 14.7 psia.

So my two problems there is figuring out how many atmospheres a planet would need to have, to have a sea level pressure of 128.8 psia. I'm terrible at math, as you have probably figured out. THEN, what I need to figure out is if a human can even survive in 128.8 psia. It sounds a bit ... extreme.

Then again, I do know deep sea divers acclimate to much higher pressures, but they can only breathe properly if they change their oxygen mixture. Requiring my human character to have a supplementary breathing apparatus in this story is a possibility, but I still don't know if any of this is possible. Can you guys help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you assuming that the ammonia would have to be pure? Is the Earth's atmosphere pure oxygen? Is household ammonia pure ammonia? Stuff to think about.

Well in this case, i think for ammonia to work as a basis for biochemistry, it needs to be in a liquid form. I was going on pure only to simplify the problem, because I'm not terribly certain how ammonia reacts with various other chemicals. I know exposing ammonia to oxygen results in the creation of nitrous oxide and water, and I don't really know at what point such do these chemical mixtures result in a volitile reaction.

But if you want to offer any suggestions, I'm all ears.

HavNoFear said:
Well in this case, i think for ammonia to work as a basis for biochemistry, it needs to be in a liquid form.
But why a PURE liquid form? I'm just throwing out ideas here. I have no real suggestions. Not my field at all.

I'm not following you. Do you mean you think it ought to be part liquid or part gas?

I said, I was simplifying the chemical to focus on just one, and not several, because I'm trying to figure out if this is possible in its most basic form before I worry about combinations of chemicals and whether or not they'll degrade or explode

Ammonia is water soluble. Again, why pure ammonia?

Then it sounds like you have your answer, and it is "no, you can't".

HavNoFear said:
Writing a sci-fi story, thinking of making the alien species ammonia-based. Obviously there are problems with that. On Earth, ammonia is a liquid under cryogenic temperatures. I think -28 degree Fahrenheit is its boiling point. Obviously, this is too cold for a human to survive for very long without some kind of really, really good thermal wear or some kind of environmental suit, both of which I was hoping to avoid.

The other option I have, which would allow ammonia to be a liquid at more normal, room temperatures, is to simply increase the atmospheric pressure of the planet they're on. However, my research says that ammonia's boiling point is at 70 degrees under 128.8 psia. Normal Earth air pressure at sea level is 14.7 psia.

So my two problems there is figuring out how many atmospheres a planet would need to have, to have a sea level pressure of 128.8 psia. I'm terrible at math, as you have probably figured out. THEN, what I need to figure out is if a human can even survive in 128.8 psia. It sounds a bit ... extreme.

Then again, I do know deep sea divers acclimate to much higher pressures, but they can only breathe properly if they change their oxygen mixture. Requiring my human character to have a supplementary breathing apparatus in this story is a possibility, but I still don't know if any of this is possible. Can you guys help me out?
I have a suggestion, I'm also writing a space story where I wanted to not require space suits.

Does your universe have force fields? A portable force field emitter can create an invisible environment suit directly around the character. It would appear as though your characters were walking about hostile environments without any suits, but your characters will have complete control over their environments. I use the same technology in my crew's personal force fields as the ship's force fields.

Since its a science fiction story you can take some creative license here, make your alien anyway you chose. Maybe they are a hyper adaptive species and moister from the atmosphere allows them to adapt to a human friendly environment...maybe there is an adjustment period, but after that they can coexist.

gjonesy said:
Since its a science fiction story you can take some creative license here, make your alien anyway you chose. Maybe they are a hyper adaptive species and moister from the atmosphere allows them to adapt to a human friendly environment...maybe there is an adjustment period, but after that they can coexist.
make it any way you choose, my suggestion is make them a super intelligent species inwhich tey created a suite that keeps them at the right conditions.
whatever you want

newjerseyrunner said:
I have a suggestion, I'm also writing a space story where I wanted to not require space suits.

Does your universe have force fields? A portable force field emitter can create an invisible environment suit directly around the character. It would appear as though your characters were walking about hostile environments without any suits, but your characters will have complete control over their environments. I use the same technology in my crew's personal force fields as the ship's force fields.

I am reminded of the "life belts" used by the crew of the Enterprise on Star Trek: The Animated Series. They projected a personal force field that does what a space suit does.

@HavNoFear if we heated a human being to 100 degrees C and upped the atmospheric pressure, he'd still be pretty dead. so I think the aliens will need a suit.

1. Can humans and ammonia-based aliens breathe the same air?

No, humans and ammonia-based aliens have very different respiratory systems. Humans breathe oxygen, while ammonia-based aliens require ammonia to survive.

2. Is it possible for humans and ammonia-based aliens to share the same living space?

It is not possible for humans and ammonia-based aliens to share the same living space. The living conditions required for each species are vastly different, and cohabitation would be harmful to both parties.

3. Can humans and ammonia-based aliens consume the same food and water?

No, humans and ammonia-based aliens have different dietary needs. While humans can consume a variety of food and drink water, ammonia-based aliens require a diet of ammonia and other chemicals for sustenance.

4. Are there any potential health risks for humans living near ammonia-based aliens?

Yes, there are potential health risks for humans living near ammonia-based aliens. Ammonia can be toxic to humans in high concentrations, and exposure to the alien's environment could lead to respiratory issues and other health problems.

5. Can humans and ammonia-based aliens communicate with each other?

It is unlikely that humans and ammonia-based aliens would be able to communicate with each other, as they would not share a common language or means of communication. However, with advanced technology and research, it is possible that some form of communication could be established.