Can a new desalination method revolutionize access to clean water?

• Thread starter jim meyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the traditional process used in these operations is vacuum distillation—essentially the boiling of water at less than atmospheric pressure and thus a much lower temperature than normal. This is because the boiling of a liquid occurs when the vapor pressure equals the ambient pressure and vapor pressure increases with temperature. Thus, because of the reduced temperature, low-temperature "waste" heat from electrical power generation or industrial processes can be used.
Well...
My apologies for lacking common sense.
I bow to you O Great Desalinator...

Just out of curiosity though what are your qualifications and field of "expertise"?

Below is a standard desalinator btw

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Ripper, I want to say I'm sorry for any improper comment I may have made and I do not want to stir the smit pot. I want to solve problems and I don't have any special qualifations. I'm just curious about mechines-well not all machines-mainly thermodynamics a suppose. Oh, and engeering too. I'm very fond of Isaac Newton and wish I could chat with him. Oh well another imposible dream. Also I like the diagram you posted-is this one of the systems you work on?

jim meyer said:
Hi Ripper, I want to say I'm sorry for any improper comment I may have made and I do not want to stir the smit pot. I want to solve problems and I don't have any special qualifations. I'm just curious about mechines-well not all machines-mainly thermodynamics a suppose. Oh, and engeering too. I'm very fond of Isaac Newton and wish I could chat with him. Oh well another imposible dream. Also I like the diagram you posted-is this one of the systems you work on?

So your path seems clear, Jim. You should figure out a good educational path for you, so you can push forward some of your ideas in a better technical way. Hopefully there are some Community College classes near you, or you can take advantage of the many on-line educational resources. It's very important to approach your ideas from a technical strength position. Without the technical knowledge of thermodynamics and physics, you can waste way too much time pursuing approaches that will not work in the end. Life is too short to waste your talents on technical approaches that will not work in the end, and that can be seen to be fruitless early on based on a good technical background.

Please keep pursuing your inventive instincts, but base your work on continuing to improve your technical background. This thread is closed.

Likes Rippetherocker