Can a sound wave be both standing and traveling?

In summary, a sound wave can indeed exhibit both standing and traveling properties. A standing wave is characterized by fixed nodes and antinodes, while a traveling wave is characterized by a constant movement of energy. In certain situations, a sound wave can display characteristics of both types of waves, depending on factors such as the medium it is traveling through and the frequency of the wave. This phenomenon is known as a standing traveling wave, and it is commonly seen in musical instruments and other acoustic systems. Overall, the behavior of a sound wave can vary and can exhibit both standing and traveling properties under certain conditions.
rwooduk
Apologies if this is a stupid question, I have a reference that says:

"An ultrasonic field will be a combination of standing and traveling waves. An increase in the traveling wave will decrease the proportion of a standing wave and vica versa".

I'm trying to visualise this, I understand the two separately but having trouble with both. I thought the wave was either standing or traveling. How can it be both?

Any help visualising this would really be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can take the sum of of a standing and a traveling wave. Which is the same as the sum of two waves moving in opposite directions with unequal amplitude.

Likes rwooduk
Not really my field but it doesn't say that there is just one wave. It says "combination of standing and traveling waves" (plural). eg a mixture of standing and traveling waves.

It's not unreasonable to imagine that the total power output might be the sum of the power in the traveling and standing waves so that reducing the power in one allows more power in the other... or something like that.

Likes rwooduk
mfb said:
You can take the sum of of a standing and a traveling wave. Which is the same as the sum of two waves moving in opposite directions with unequal amplitude.

Thanks. That helps a little (if I can visualise them as two separate waves as two waves moving in opposite directions with unequal amplitude) but is it possible to somehow separate the components of a combined single wave into standing and traveling? And why do books not say anything about this?

The paper I'm reading imposes conditions for a standing wave, and then does the same for a traveling wave, the effects of which are then analysed to see which has the greatest effect. Therefore in the combined standing and traveling wave system it suggests you can see which type of wave contributes most.

CWatters said:
Not really my field but it doesn't say that there is just one wave. It says "combination of standing and traveling waves" (plural). eg a mixture of standing and traveling waves.

It's not unreasonable to imagine that the total power output might be the sum of the power in the traveling and standing waves so that reducing the power in one allows more power in the other... or something like that.

Yes, it's the mixture I'm struggling with. How is this possible when you usually tune a wave to be standing, if you detune it slightly it is no longer standing and is traveling.

Thanks for the replies.

rwooduk said:
but is it possible to somehow separate the components of a combined single wave into standing and traveling?
That is just a matter of definition. It can be useful in some setups.

Likes rwooduk
mfb said:
That is just a matter of definition. It can be useful in some setups.

Ok, thanks. I will just consider it a defined event for the purposes of calculation etc and try not to get drawn into how to see it.

Thanks again

rwooduk said:
Ok, thanks. I will just consider it a defined event for the purposes of calculation etc and try not to get drawn into how to see it.

Thanks again
A mixture of standing waves and traveling waves is very common and is found, for instance, in the case of a transmission line with a mismatched load.

Likes rwooduk
tech99 said:
A mixture of standing waves and traveling waves is very common and is found, for instance, in the case of a transmission line with a mismatched load.
I didn't know that, thanks!

rwooduk said:
How is this possible when you usually tune a wave to be standing, if you detune it slightly it is no longer standing and is traveling.

yes, that's the idea.

Ultrasonic and sound waves are pretty much the same...longitudinal waves...so think of any wind or string music instrument for example...the resonant frequency produces the desired tones, or notes, while the non resonant waves' travel' and are quickly dissipated.

And in the case of transmission lines, you want the opposite situation ...no reflections...so that higher frequencies, say rf, are entirely traveling waves...no resonances to sap additional power.

rwooduk said:
try not to get drawn into how to see it.

No reason to avoid drawing your own picture...
Here is an illustration of a traveling wave...like a water wave moving along...and just picture steady state peaks and valleys in addition to what is shown...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line#Input_impedance_of_lossless_transmission_line

Oh, and constructive interference illustrated here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_(wave_propagation)

Likes rwooduk
Finny said:
yes, that's the idea.

Ultrasonic and sound waves are pretty much the same...longitudinal waves...so think of any wind or string music instrument for example...the resonant frequency produces the desired tones, or notes, while the non resonant waves' travel' and are quickly dissipated.

And in the case of transmission lines, you want the opposite situation ...no reflections...so that higher frequencies, say rf, are entirely traveling waves...no resonances to sap additional power.
No reason to avoid drawing your own picture...
Here is an illustration of a traveling wave...like a water wave moving along...and just picture steady state peaks and valleys in addition to what is shown...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line#Input_impedance_of_lossless_transmission_line

Oh, and constructive interference illustrated here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_(wave_propagation)

Thanks for the detailed reply, the instrument analogy is very good.

From your link to Input impedance of lossless transmission line, how can there be impedance if there is lossless transmission? wouldn't that be zero impedance? or were you just directing me to the standing wave gif below it?

Thanks again!

Likes rwooduk
Consider when a standing wave arises by the interference of a wave and its (normal) reflection from a wall. If the reflection is not 100%, then you have a standing wave superimposed on a progressive wave traveling towards the wall.

Likes rwooduk

1. Can a sound wave be both standing and traveling?

Yes, a sound wave can exhibit both standing and traveling characteristics depending on the specific conditions and environment.

2. What is a standing sound wave?

A standing sound wave is a wave that appears to be stationary and does not propagate through space. It is formed when two waves with equal frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other.

3. How is a standing sound wave different from a traveling sound wave?

A traveling sound wave moves through space and carries energy with it while a standing sound wave does not travel, but rather oscillates in place. Additionally, traveling sound waves can be heard as audible sound, while standing sound waves are typically not audible.

4. What are some examples of where standing sound waves can be observed?

Standing sound waves can be observed in various musical instruments such as a guitar string or a pipe organ. They can also be seen in acoustic resonators such as bottles or hollow tubes.

5. Can a standing sound wave be broken down into individual traveling sound waves?

Yes, a standing sound wave can be broken down into two traveling sound waves, with equal frequency and amplitude, traveling in opposite directions. This is known as superposition and is the principle behind how standing waves are formed.