Can a Super Capacitor Match a NiCd Battery's Energy Storage?

In summary, to determine the required capacitance value for a super capacitor that can store the same amount of energy as a size C nickel cadmium rechargeable battery, we need to know the battery's capacity and output voltage. The output voltage for a NiCd battery is approximately 1.5V and the capacity is measured in ampere hours (AHr). Using the formula U = 0.5CV and the given voltage, we can calculate the required capacitance value for charging the capacitor to 5 volts or 100 volts.
ravenprp
A super capacitor is to be designed to store the amount of energy that is stored in a typical size C nickel cadmium rechargeable battery. Use (but justify) any reasonable assumptions to calculate the energy that can be stored in the rechargeable battery.
a. Determine the required capacitance value, assuming the capacitor can be charged to 5 volts.
b. Determine the required capacitance value, assuming the capacitor can be charge to 100 volts.

I know that U = .5CV, and we are given V. For a size C nickel cadmium battery, is the potential the same? I'm not sure how to tackle the problem.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, the potential is not the same.
Try looking up the battery specs on the web.
Battery capacity is generally given in amp hour.

No, look up the capacity and output voltage of a C size NiCd battery. The output voltage will be approximately 1.5V (I don't know the nominal voltage of NiCd off the top of my head), and there will be some Amp * Hour (AHr) rating for the battery. A first approximation to the energy stored in the battery can be calculated by assuming that the battery puts out its nominal V for the AHr rating.

Doh, NoTime beats me again!

berkeman said:
Doh, NoTime beats me again!
:smile: I get lucky sometimes :biggrin:

A NiCd has somewhat less than a 1.5v output.
But, I'll let the OP look that up. :smile:

Related to Can a Super Capacitor Match a NiCd Battery's Energy Storage?

1. How do batteries and capacitors store energy?

Batteries store energy through a chemical reaction, while capacitors store energy through an electric field.

2. What is the difference between a battery and a capacitor?

The main difference between a battery and a capacitor is their method of storing energy. Batteries store energy through a chemical reaction, while capacitors store energy through an electric field. Additionally, batteries typically have a longer lifespan and can store more energy compared to capacitors.

3. How long do batteries and capacitors last?

The lifespan of batteries and capacitors can vary depending on usage and type. Batteries can last anywhere from a few months to several years, while capacitors can last for decades if properly maintained.

4. Can batteries and capacitors be used interchangeably?

No, batteries and capacitors cannot be used interchangeably. They have different purposes and methods of storing energy. However, they can be used together in certain electronic devices to provide different functions.

5. How can I dispose of batteries and capacitors responsibly?

It is important to dispose of batteries and capacitors responsibly to avoid harming the environment. Many electronic stores and recycling centers offer programs for proper disposal. It is also important to check your local regulations for any specific guidelines for disposing of these items.