Can an atom be anywhere in space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space and whether it is like a checkerboard with limited spaces for particles to exist. It also mentions the idea of an infinite number of locations and the time it would take for a particle to move between them. The conversation ultimately concludes that this is a flawed argument and references Zeno's paradox as an example.
clisp
Is space like a checker board where the pieces can only be in certain places like X X X X X
X X X XoX
X X X X X
o being a mass and X being the border which the mass can cross but not exist in.
I thought that these places could over lap

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it seems that to have an infinite number of locations an atom exists would mean that it would take infinite time to move an atom one inch

Now that's just silly. See Zeno's paradox of Achilles and the tortoise

clisp, You need to take a look at the PF Guidelines, particularly the part warning against posting of overly speculative ideas and personal theories.

If there are a finite number of crackpots spread evenly throughout space, forever dissipating and reforming under new usernames as they are banished from places of light, could we distinguish this from the case of an infinite number of crackpots? :confused:

Well basically since I have never heard of anyone being able to trace a particle on it's exact path from one point to another that I would ask someone who might have.
The question is still there.
When traveling particle goes from 0 to 1 distance away does a particle have to go through .1, .11, .111, .1111, .11111 distance or does it jump from .1 strait to .2 with no infinitely small point in space in between.

clisp said:
Well basically since I have never heard of anyone being able to trace a particle on it's exact path from one point to another that I would ask someone who might have.
The question is still there.
When traveling particle goes from 0 to 1 distance away does a particle have to go through .1, .11, .111, .1111, .11111 distance or does it jump from .1 strait to .2 with no infinitely small point in space in between.

Folks are trying to tell you nicely that this is a well-known flawed argument. See Zeno's paradox and please understand that this is a poorly formed question in the world of quantum physics.

Related to Can an atom be anywhere in space?

1. Can an atom be anywhere in space?

No, an atom cannot be anywhere in space. Atoms are bound by the forces of the nucleus and the electrons, and they have a specific location within a given space.

2. Can atoms exist in a vacuum?

Yes, atoms can exist in a vacuum. In fact, most of the universe is made up of a vacuum, and atoms can still exist and interact with each other in this environment.

3. Can atoms travel through space?

Yes, atoms can travel through space. In fact, atoms are constantly in motion and can move through space as long as there is no external force acting on them.

4. Can an atom be in two places at once?

No, an atom cannot be in two places at once. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, an atom can exist in multiple states simultaneously, but it cannot be physically located in two different places at the same time.

5. Can atoms be found in deep space?

Yes, atoms can be found in deep space. In fact, atoms are the building blocks of all matter, and they can be found throughout the universe, even in the vastness of deep space.